Aetna Louisiana: Rehab & Detox Centers in LA That Take Aetna Insurance
Located in the Southeastern region of the United States, Louisiana is home to over 4.6 million residents.1 Rich in history and culture, Louisiana is known for its jazz music, unique and tasty foods (e.g., gumbo, po’boys), and beautiful landscape.
The Pelican State is also well known for its diverse population, including the Cajun and Creole cultures.1 Tourists from around the world visit the state each year to enjoy the Mardi Gras festival in New Orleans or enjoy the entertainment and historical landmarks in other major cities, including Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Layfaette.1
Of the millions of Lousiana residents, many have been affected by addiction—either their own misuse of drugs and alcohol or watching a loved one go through it. Over 5.3% of Louisianans (242,000 people) report having alcohol use disorder, and 8.3% (318,000 people) report a substance use disorder (addiction to illicit drugs).2 pp 25/26
In 2020, 2,121 Louisiana residents died of a drug overdose, and nearly 14,000 people visited the emergency room due to drug poisoning in 2018.3 With substance use disorder rates nearly 2% higher than the national average and many drug-related deaths, addiction is a serious public health issue in Louisiana.2 p 27
Rehab facilities throughout Louisiana are here to help. By providing individualized care and evidence-based treatments, rehab and other addiction treatments, rehab centers in Louisiana can help you get on the path to sobriety.
On a single day in March 2019, 10,633 residents were enrolled in a substance use treatment program. But statistics show that only 10% of individuals who struggle with addiction get the treatment they need.4
Read on to learn more about how Aetna insurance coverage can help you pay for the cost of drug and alcohol rehab centers and other substance use disorder treatments.
Does Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Yes, Aetna Better Health of Louisiana provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient alcohol and drug rehab as well as other substance use disorder treatments.5 Exactly what is covered depends on the specific Aetna plan you have.
Although your health insurance provider may not be the first place you think to call when you’re considering attending alcohol and drug rehab, it’s always a good idea to call to get the full details of your plan’s coverage as you plan your treatment.
Aetna is committed to providing compassionate behavioral health care for its members. Behavioral health means substance use and mental health care. Aetna aims to support the following for its members who seek treatment for addiction:5 p 22
- Easy access to care
- Involvement from you and/or your support system in seeking care
- Collaboration with the community
- Effective innovation
- Expectation for improvement
- Cultural competency
Call the number on the back of your Aetna insurance member ID card to speak with a customer service agent. Let them know you’re interested in learning more about your plan’s coverage for substance use disorder treatments. Ask for a list of rehabs that accept Aetna insurance to ensure coverage helps pay for treatment. The Aetna representative can also work with you as you come up with your care plan goals, and follow your progress to ensure you get the support you need along your recovery journey.6
Know that at least some of the costs of treatment will be covered by your plan. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that all health insurance companies, including Aetna, must provide at least partial coverage for substance use disorder treatments.7
What Is Aetna Better Health of Louisiana?
Aetna Better Health of Louisiana, a CVS Health company, has been providing Medicaid-managed care for Louisiana residents for over 7 years.8 As of 2022, the company serves over 150,000 members located throughout the state’s Medicaid Managed Care Program.8
Aetna Medicaid Administrators LLC (Aetna Medicaid) has over 30 years of experience providing affordable care to some of the most medically vulnerable populations throughout the country using innovative approaches. Aetna Medicaid owns or administers Medicaid-managed healthcare plans for over 2.8 million members in 16 states, including Louisiana.8 The company has a strong focus on population health and health equity to increase the positive impact on their members’ health and quality of life.8
As evidence of their commitment, Aetna Better Health of Louisiana has provided over $775,000 in funding to Louisiana-based organizations between 2019 and 2022 to help reduce food insecurity and improve maternal health and education.8
What Substance Addiction Does Aetna LA Rehab Treatment Centers Cover?
Sometimes people turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with a problem, life’s stressors, or difficult memories. While it may feel like these substances can help you cheer up or forget about what’s weighing you down, the truth is that they can be dangerous and harmful.
If you become physically or emotionally dependent on these substances, it is known as addiction, or substance use disorder. Drugs and alcohol don’t really improve your life—in the short term, they impair your judgment, behavior, and ability to communicate effectively. In the long run, they can harm your health.9
Your Aetna Better Health of Louisiana plan should cover some, if not all, of the costs of your treatment for addiction to many substances, including:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak to a customer service agent. Ask them to walk you through the details of your plan for substance use disorder treatments. They can help you get started on the process of entering rehab.
Alternatively, you can call us at to speak with an admissions navigator. They can verify your insurance coverage on the phone, answer your questions, and share treatment-related information with you. You can also fill out the 2-step form below and we’ll email you details about your insurance coverage for rehab and other treatments.
How Much Does Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Aetna Better Health of Louisiana will provide at least partial coverage for most addiction treatments. Before you choose a rehab program to enter, you may want to consider several factors, such as:
- The substance(s) you are misusing/addicted to.
- How long you’ve been using and how often you use.
- History of withdrawal and quit attempts.
- If you want to live at home or at the rehab facility.
- Whether you have other mental health conditions that require treatment.
Addiction treatments Aetna Better Health of Louisiana may provide coverage for include:10
- Medication-assisted detoxification. Alcohol and drug misuse and abuse often lead to physical dependency. When you stop using these substances, your body will go through withdrawal symptoms. Detox often uses prescription medications to reduce your discomfort, and 24/7 supervision and care are provided by medical professionals. This is often the first step in recovery before entering another treatment program, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Also known as residential treatment, inpatient rehab provides you with a place to live while you are in treatment. Rehab centers range from luxury to standard and offer different approaches to addiction care. You can expect your days to be highly structured and involve individual and group therapy, peer support groups, and education on addiction and recovery to help you develop coping mechanisms to stay sober long after you end treatment.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). PHP programs are time-intensive and require you to attend 5–6 days a week for 4–8 hours each day. These programs provide a high level of support to help you navigate life without turning to drugs and alcohol. Individual and group therapy are integral elements of PHP programs as well as peer support. You can live at home while enrolled in a PHP program.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs vary significantly in terms of time commitment, but most require you to attend treatment 10–12 hours a week, 2–3 days a week. You may live at home and attend work, school, or take care of family responsibilities while in an outpatient program. These programs are often attended by those who have completed an inpatient program and would like ongoing recovery support.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). You can live at home while attending an IOP program, but the time commitment is a bit more than your traditional outpatient program. Most IOP programs meet 3–5 days a week for several hours at a time, typically in the evening. Peer and professional support and therapies are provided in these programs.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with an Aetna Better Health of Louisiana member services agent and ask about your health plan’s coverage for addiction treatments.
Does Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Insurance Cover Mental Health Care?
Yes, Aetna Better Health of Louisiana provides at least partial coverage for mental health care. Mental health treatments fall under the umbrella of “behavioral health” along with substance use disorder treatments and must be covered by all health insurance providers. The ACA ensures that mental health care is at least partially covered by all health insurance providers.7
Nearly half of those who struggle with addiction also have a co-occurring mental health diagnosis, such as depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and mood disorders.10, 2nd para This is known as dual diagnosis.
People with mental illness are twice as likely to self-medicate with drugs and alcohol to manage and cope with their symptoms.11 In the long run, this does more harm than good. If you struggle with addiction and have a mental health diagnosis, there are rehab facilities in Louisiana that provide treatments for dual diagnoses. Through the use of comprehensive, evidence-based treatments, these rehabs address and treat all of your mental health concerns at the same time to give you a better chance at long-term recovery.
Your Aetna Better Health of Louisiana plan will provide at least partial coverage for your dual diagnosis treatments. The exact amount covered depends on your specific Aetna plan.
How Long Does Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
The length of your stay in inpatient alcohol and drug rehab will depend on your specific needs and the program you enter. Most inpatient programs last between 30 and 90 days, but some are longer. How long your Aetna Better Health of Louisiana plan provides coverage depends on your specific plan.
In general, it’s better to stay in treatment for as long as recommended to improve your outcome. Evidence suggests that people who stay in treatment for 3 months or more have better outcomes, including long-term sobriety and an overall improvement in their quality of life and wellbeing.12, bullet 5
Call the number on the back of your Aetna insurance card to inquire about how long your Aetna plan will cover an inpatient rehab stay. Or, call our 24/7 hotline at to speak with an admissions navigator. We can verify the insurance details for you so you can focus on what matters most: getting into treatment and recovering.
What if My Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
As long as you’ve paid your monthly premium (if applicable), your Aetna Better Health of Louisiana plan will provide at least partial coverage for the costs of your stay in an inpatient drug rehab program. Depending on your plan, you may be responsible for some out-of-pocket expenses, such as your deductible, copays, and coinsurance.
If you don’t have the means to pay for your out-of-pocket expenses, there are other ways to help you cover your costs, including:
- Fundraising and crowdfunding.
- Sliding scale—some rehabs offer sliding scale pricing to individuals who can demonstrate financial need.
- Payment plans offered by the rehab center.
- Grants and scholarships offered by the rehab facility and/or your state government.
- Personal loans and lines of credit—some banks and credit unions provide loans to help cover medical expenses.
Getting into treatment is the most important thing. Most rehab centers are willing to help you work out payment plans or sliding scale pricing if costs are a barrier to getting the treatment you need.
Aetna Better Health of Louisiana In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
When searching for an inpatient drug rehab center, you’ll want to find a rehab facility that is in-network with Aetna Better Health. These rehab centers have an agreement with Aetna to provide addiction treatments at a discounted cost. This also means that getting insurance coverage for treatment will be easier, and your out-of-pocket expenses may be much lower.
Out-of-network providers do not have an agreement with Aetna and do not provide addiction treatments at a discounted rate. Your plan may cover far less of the cost or none at all, depending on the restrictions on your plan. It may also involve significantly more paperwork and legwork on your end to get insurance coverage at an out-of-network provider.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask for a list of Louisiana rehabs that are in-network with Aetna. You can also call the rehab center(s) you are considering directly to ask if they are in-network with Aetna Better Health of Louisiana.
What Rehab Centers Take Aetna of Louisiana Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Aetna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Aetna insurance.
How to Find Aetna Better Health of Louisiana Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in LA?
Aetna Better Health of Louisiana has a large network of inpatient drug and alcohol rehab centers that are in-network. These centers have been carefully screened and provide high-quality care, use modern and evidence-based treatments, and provide significant support while you’re in rehab and after you complete your program (aftercare).
You can also use our search tool to find treatment centers in Louisiana. In addition to searching by location, you can also search by substances used, treatment times, and rehab centers that accept your insurance plan.
American Addiction Centers has inpatient drug treatment centers in the Louisiana area. If you’re looking to get a change of scenery, Oxford Treatment Center located in Etta, Mississippi, provides high-quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment in a calming, private environment. You’ll be provided with a personalized treatment plan and learn various strategies to help you face your addiction and any co-occurring mental health conditions by supportive and understanding staff.
Call us 24/7 at our free hotline to speak to an admissions navigator who can check your benefits for you and share information about treatment centers throughout the country that accept your health insurance plan.