Aetna Maryland: Rehab & Detox Centers in MD That Take Aetna Insurance
Maryland, often referred to as “America in Miniature” because of the diverse natural features and diverse population packed into its just 10,460 square miles, boasts a population of 6,177,224 as of the 2020 census.1,2 The state is home to Annapolis, its capital city, as well as Baltimore and its capital region, where you’ll find Washington, D.C. 3, 4
Citizens of Maryland are not strangers to the struggles of substance misuse that many across our country face. In 2020, Maryland saw 2,773 unintentional intoxication deaths, meaning deaths caused by any type of drug or alcohol, a 16.6% increase from the previous year.5 In 2018, opioids were involved in almost 90% of drug overdose deaths in Maryland.6 If you or a loved one in Maryland are struggling with substance abuse of any kind, there are resources for you within the state as you look for rehab centers or treatment options.
Does Aetna Better Health of Maryland Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Aetna Better Health of Maryland is a Medicaid coverage option offered through the Maryland Health Connection website, the health insurance marketplace for those living in Maryland.7 While the specifics vary greatly from plan to plan, the Affordable Care Act requires that all marketplace insurance plans cover certain essential health benefits. This list includes substance use disorder treatment.8 This means that if you have an Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance plan, some form of alcohol and/or drug rehab center treatment will be covered at least in part by your insurance plan. The specifics of the type of facility and treatment (inpatient, outpatient, etc.) covered will vary based on your plan.
Because specifics are often based on your particular Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance plan, there are a few channels you can go through to look more into your specific coverage. If you find a specific rehab center you are interested in receiving treatment from, give them a call to speak with someone who can discuss your coverage at that facility based on the information you give them about your plan. You can also reach out to Aetna directly by calling the number on the back of your insurance information card.
American Addiction Centers also offers several options for learning more about your coverage, and there are several ways to reach our admissions team. If you’d like to speak with someone virtually, reach out via the chat feature on our website. If you prefer to speak to someone over the phone, representatives are available at (866) 799-9790. You can also check your coverage by entering a few pieces of information into our insurance verification form found here. We don’t want there to be any roadblocks when it comes to seeking the treatment you or a loved one may need. All of these channels are available to you 24/7.
What Is Aetna Better Health of Maryland?
Aetna Better Health of Maryland is a part of Aetna, a national healthcare provider that’s a member of the CVS Health family of companies.7 Aetna has served Medicaid recipients for 30 years and works with local communities across 16 states to develop insurance plans that work best for the patients they are created for.9
What Substance Addiction Does Aetna MD Rehab Treatment Centers Cover?
Some form of treatment for substance addiction of all kinds is covered by your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance plan. The important part is receiving the best type of treatment for the substance addiction you are struggling with. The key will be to find the best treatment center for you with a treatment program for the substance you are struggling with abusing that is also covered by your insurance plan. That said, there are resources available for everyone to receive help. Some commonly abused substances that may be treated at rehab centers covered by your plan include, but are not limited to:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
How Much Does Aetna Better Health of Maryland Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
There are several types of addiction treatment that your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance plan may cover in part or in full. These types include, but are not limited to:
- Inpatient/residential rehab: Inpatient rehab options allow patients to focus solely on addiction recovery and take place at facilities where patients live at the rehab center full-time, receiving round-the-clock care from a team of professionals. Patients engage in high levels of group and individual therapy and treatments and have very structured days.
- Outpatient rehab/therapy: Outpatient rehab options are programs that allow patients to receive treatment at a rehab facility but return home in between treatment sessions. These programs are often structured based on the severity of a patient’s addiction. While patients still attend therapy and treatment sessions with professionals, they are provided the flexibility of being able to return home. Because they do not involve full-time care, treatment duration can sometimes last longer than live-in treatment options.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): Intensive outpatient programs are similar to traditional outpatient programs but provide rehab services at a higher intensity closer to that of an inpatient program by requiring a patient to attend more or longer treatment sessions than a traditional outpatient program.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): Partial hospitalization rehab programs are hospital-based treatment programs that allow patients to return home after their treatment sessions. These provide a treatment intensity and structure similar to that of an inpatient rehab program but require more time than an IOP, providing around 20 hours a week of treatment sessions and programs.
Does Aetna Better Health of Maryland Insurance Cover Mental Health Care?
Those struggling with substance misuse are often also struggling with a mental health disorder. When both issues occur at the same time in a patient, it is called a co-occurring disorder. According to the SAMHSA 2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 17 million adults in the U.S. struggled with both a mental health issue as well as substance use disorder that year. Of those 17 million, only 5.7% received treatment for both disorders.10 – pgs. 5, 47
This survey from the SAMHSA also states that current treatment recommendations for co-occurring disorders are that both disorders be treated in tandem. This is because the presence of one condition can exacerbate the other, so they are often closely tied together in patients.10 – pg. 47 To create the best treatment plan possible for each patient, both disorders should be considered.
As stated above, the Affordable Care Act requires that all health insurance marketplace plans cover certain essential health benefits. Substance use disorder treatment is on this list, as well as mental and behavioral health treatment.8 This means that your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance plan must at least partially cover any mental health or substance abuse treatment you or a loved one may need, including co-occurring disorder treatment.
How Long Does Aetna Better Health of Maryland Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
The length of your treatment plan is an important aspect to consider when looking to receive help from a rehab facility. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a critical component of successful substance abuse treatment is that the patient stays in treatment long enough.11 The NIDA also states that research suggests most patients need at least 3 months in a treatment program with longer treatment durations producing even better outcomes.12 Ultimately, your treatment length needs to be what’s best for you and your personal situation and addiction.
Because there are many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, the length of time covered by your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance will depend on your specific plan. In determining the length of stay your plan covers, it may be beneficial to call your insurance company directly to inquire about your specific case and plan. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a representative directly from Aetna and discuss what coverage options you have access to. This can help determine the type and specific facility you may want to receive treatment from as well. You can also call the AAC admissions team at any time at to discuss the length of stay your insurance policy might cover.
What if My Aetna Better Health of Maryland Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
If you find that your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance policy doesn’t cover an inpatient drug rehab program, there are still many options available to you as you seek treatment. In addition to other forms of rehab treatment that may be covered by your policy, there are also often financing and scholarship options available at different treatment centers. Reach out to an inpatient treatment center you’re interested in directly to see what financial aid options may be available to you based on your current situation and case.
It is important to find treatment now while you or your loved one feel ready rather than wait until later. Don’t let addiction control any more of your life. Seek the help you need today and get on the road to recovery.
Aetna Better Health of Maryland In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Every health insurance plan or policy has a group of facilities and clinicians who provide covered care to holders of their insurance policies. This group of providers is considered “in-network” for your policy because you are able to receive care from anyone in that group and expect some level of coverage to be provided for the care they provided to you.
However, if a clinician or facility is not in this group, they are considered “out-of-network.” While you can still receive care from them, you will need to expect to pay higher out-of-pocket costs, as the care they provide to you will not be covered by your insurance plan.
This means that your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance policy has a group of in-network providers as well that can provide you with at least partially covered care. These are the providers you want to make sure you visit in order to avoid higher costs due to seeing an out-of-network provider.
There are a few ways you can check to see if a specific provider is in-network with your insurance policy. The first is to call the number on the back of your insurance information card. This will connect you to someone directly from Aetna who can talk through your specific plan and provider options on the phone. Policyholders can also log in to their account at aetnabetterhealth.com/maryland/ and use the “Find a provider” button to find an in-network clinician or facility to provide them with the specific care they need.
What Rehab Centers That Take Aetna Maryland Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have an Aetna insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Aetna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and telehealth, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Located in Hollywood, Florida, Recovery First treats substance use disorders by combining evidence-based therapeutic modalities with top-level care. Recovery First provides a personalized continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida, River Oaks treats substance use disorders through combining evidence-based therapies with world-class amenities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, behavioral disorder treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, outpatient services, and telehealth, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Aetna insurance.
How to Find Aetna Better Health of Maryland Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in MD?
When looking for inpatient drug treatment centers in Maryland covered by your Aetna Better Health of Maryland insurance policy, American Addiction Centers is happy to help you verify your insurance coverage to find the facility that’s best for you. We’re available 24/7 via the chat feature on our website. You can also use this form to check your insurance coverage by just providing us with a few pieces of information. You can also call our helpline any time to speak with our admissions team at Any of our representatives would be happy to check your benefits with you right while you’re on the phone.
American Addiction Centers wants you to find the treatment facility and rehab program that’s best for you. If you’re looking for an addiction treatment facility in Maryland, check out more information here about facilities in your state. AAC also has a leading treatment center not far from Maryland in Lafayette, New Jersey, called the Sunrise House Treatment Center, which provides a top-notch quality rehab program. Learn more about it here, and contact our admissions team if you think this facility, or any other, might be a good fit for your rehab journey. We want to get you on the road to addiction recovery as soon as possible.