Aetna Virginia: Rehab & Detox Centers in VA That Take Aetna Insurance
Located in the southeastern region of the United States, Virginia is a state rich in historical landmarks, culture, and hospitality. With the Atlantic Ocean bordering the state’s eastern border, Virginia is a beautiful state that more than 8.6 million people call home.1 Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Richmond (the state capital) are the largest cities in the increasingly urbanized state.1,2
Among the beauty and history of the state lies a stark truth: Many Virginians struggle with addiction to alcohol and drugs, known as substance use disorder. Statistics related to Virginia drug and alcohol use include:
- During 2017-2019, an average of 6.9% (488,000 people) had a substance use disorder.3, p26
- In that same period, 5.1% (357,000 people) was the average annual prevalence of alcohol use disorder.3, p25
- As of July 2020, fatal drug overdose deaths were the leading cause of unnatural death in the state since 2013.4, p2
- As of 2020, overdose deaths had been increasing every year since 2016.4, p2
On a single day in March 2019, 25,609 people in Virginia were enrolled in substance use treatment.3, p27 Among Virginians who sought addiction treatment, 57.5% went to rehab for a drug problem, 12% for an alcohol problem, and 30.5% for both an alcohol and drug-related problem.3, p28
Rehab facilities in Virginia help individuals who struggle with addiction to drugs and alcohol get sober and stay in recovery. Rehab centers in Virginia provide individualized care and evidence-based treatments that can help you or your loved one break free from addiction.
Read on to learn more about how Aetna insurance coverage can help pay for the cost of drug and alcohol rehab centers and other addiction treatments in Virginia.
Does Aetna Better Health of Virginia Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Yes, Aetna Better Health of Virginia provides coverage for inpatient alcohol and drug rehab.5,p92 Exactly how much coverage is provided for inpatient rehab and other substance use disorder treatments depends on the specific Aetna plan you have.
Rest assured that no matter what Aetna health plan you have, some of the costs of your treatment will be covered by your health insurance. The Affordable Care Act is a law that requires all health insurance providers, including Aetna, to cover at least some of the cost of addiction treatments.6
It’s always a good idea to be prepared and know ahead of time what will be covered by your Aetna plan. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask for the full details about your plan’s coverage for inpatient rehab and other addiction treatments.
You can also ask the Aetna representative for a list of rehabs that are in-network with the insurance company to ensure coverage. The Aetna representative can also provide you with support in coming up with your care plan goals and follow your progress while you are in rehab and after to help you while you’re in recovery.7
If you prefer to talk to a rehab facility, call us at . Our helpline is open 24/7 to answer your treatment-related questions. Our admissions navigators can verify your insurance coverage for you while you’re on the phone, and give you information about the admissions process when you’re ready.
Not ready for a phone call? Fill out our 2-step form below and you’ll have an email from us within minutes outlining your Aetna plan’s coverage for addiction treatments.
What Is Aetna Better Health of Virginia?
Aetna Better Health of Virginia, a subsidiary of Aetna, has been serving Virginians since 2017.8 The health plan is a statewide Medicaid-managed program that serves approximately 214,000 individuals with chronic and complex health needs, including older adults, disabled children, and adults.9 Care is provided through its large network of over 9,400 providers, 1,500 ancillary providers, and 65 hospitals in Virginia.8
Aetna (the parent company of Aetna Better Health) is one of the leading healthcare benefits companies in the nation. Aetna provides medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life, and disability plans, as well as providing medical care management to its members.9
What Substance Addiction Does Aetna VA Rehab Treatment Centers Cover?
Sometimes people facing struggles in life turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with the problem and numb their difficult feelings. While drugs and alcohol may help you temporarily push something out of your mind or feel good at the moment, the truth is they can be harmful, dangerous, and add more problems to your life.
In the short term, drugs and alcohol impair your judgment and ability to communicate. In the long run, they can harm your physical and emotional health.10
Rehab facilities in Virginia provide personalized, effective addiction treatments to help improve your health and quality of life, free from drugs and alcohol and the consequences that come with their misuse.
Your Aetna Better Health of Virginia plan should cover some, if not all, of the costs of your addiction treatments to most substances, including:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
Call the number on the back of your Aetna member ID card to speak to a representative, who can give you the details of your plan’s coverage for rehab and other addiction treatments. They can also refer you to rehab facilities that accept your insurance plan and help coordinate your care.
Or, call us at to speak with an admissions navigator. We’ll be happy to verify your insurance coverage for you over the phone, share treatment-related information and answer all of your questions. If you’re short on time, you can fill out the 2-step form below. We will email you details about your insurance coverage for rehab and other treatments.
How Much Does Aetna Better Health of Virginia Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Aetna Better Health of Virginia provides at least partial coverage for most addiction treatments. There are a few things you may want to consider before choosing a rehab program, including:
- The substance(s) you are misusing/addicted to.
- How long you’ve been using the substance(s).
- How often you use drugs/alcohol.
- Your history of quit attempts and withdrawal symptoms.
- If you want to live at home or at the rehab center.
- If you have other mental health conditions that require treatment.
Addiction treatments Aetna Better Health of Virginia may provide coverage for include:5
- Medication-assisted detoxification. Alcohol and drug abuse can lead to physical dependence on the substance. When this occurs, you will go through uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. Detox is the process of withdrawing from drugs and alcohol. Medication-assisted detox involves the use of prescription medications to reduce your discomfort and ensure your safety. Medical staff provides 24/7 supervision and support while you go through the detox process before you enter another treatment program, such as inpatient rehab.
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Also known as residential treatment, inpatient rehab provides you a place to live while in treatment. Rehab centers vary widely, so you’re sure to find what you need—from luxury rehab to more standard care. Rehabs provide highly structured days for residents. Individual and group therapy, peer support groups, and education on addiction and recovery are central to inpatient rehab programs.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). A step down in intensity from inpatient rehab, PHP programs are generally time-intensive and require attendance 5–6 days a week, 4–8 hours a day. You may live at home in a PHP program. A high level of support is provided to help you navigate life in recovery. Individual and group therapy and peer support are integral elements.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs vary widely in their time commitment. Most require attendance 2–3 days a week for 10–12 hours total. You may live at home and attend work, school, or take care of family responsibilities while in an outpatient program. Outpatient programs are often the next step for those who have completed an inpatient program and want ongoing recovery support.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). IOP is a time-intensive outpatient program that allows you to live at home. Most IOP programs require attendance 3–5 days a week for 2–4 hours a day, most typically in the evening hours. Individual and group therapy are important aspects of IOP programs, as well as peer support.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with an Aetna Better Health of Virginia member services agent and ask about your health plan’s coverage for addiction treatments.
Does Aetna Better Health of Virginia Insurance Cover Mental Health Care?
Yes, Aetna Better Health of Virginia covers mental health care as well as substance use disorder treatments. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that mental health care is at least partially covered by health insurance providers.6 Mental health treatments are categorized with substance use disorder treatments as “behavioral health” and both must be covered by health plans.
Approximately 50% of individuals who struggle with addiction have a co-occurring mental health diagnosis, such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and mood disorders.10, 2nd para This is known as a dual diagnosis.
People with mental health conditions are twice as likely to turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to self-medicate and cope with their symptoms.11 While mental health conditions don’t cause addiction and vice versa, the 2 conditions hand-in-hand can worsen symptoms over time. If you struggle with addiction and have a mental health diagnosis, there are rehab facilities in Virginia where you can seek treatment for a dual diagnosis. These rehab centers address and treat both addiction and your mental health concerns at the same time to support your long-term recovery.
Your Aetna Better Health of Virginia plan will provide coverage for some, if not all, of your dual diagnosis treatments. Exactly what is covered and how much coverage is provided depends on your specific Aetna plan.
How Long Does Aetna Better Health of Virginia Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
How long you stay in an inpatient alcohol and drug rehab program will depend on your needs, preferences, and the program you enter. Most inpatient programs last anywhere between 30 to 90 days, but some are longer. How long Aetna Better Health of Virginia will cover your rehab stay depends on the plan you have.
Staying in treatment is essential to your recovery and in general, the longer you are in treatment, the better your outcome. Research shows that individuals who stay in treatment for 3 months or longer have better outcomes, including long-term sobriety, improvement in quality of life, and overall improvements to their health and wellbeing.12, bullet 5
Call the number on the back of your Aetna member ID card to inquire about how long your Aetna Better Health of Virginia plan will provide coverage for your rehab stay. Or, call our hotline at . We can verify the insurance details for you so you can focus on getting into treatment and recovering.
What if My Aetna Better Health of Virginia Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
As long as you’ve paid your monthly premium for your plan, your Aetna Better Health of Virginia plan will provide at least partial coverage for the costs of your stay in an inpatient drug rehab program. You may be responsible for some out-of-pocket expenses, such as your deductible, copays, and coinsurance, depending on your plan.
Finances should never stand in the way of your recovery. If you don’t have the financial means to pay your out-of-pocket expenses, there are options to help you cover your costs, including:
- Fundraising and crowdfunding. Consider asking family and friends for support.
- Sliding scale. Some rehabs offer sliding scale payment options to those who cannot afford to access rehab otherwise.
- Payment plans. Many rehab centers allow you to pay back the costs over time.
- Grants and scholarships. Rehab facilities and some state governments offer grants and scholarships to low-income individuals who need treatment.
- Personal loans and lines of credit. Some banks and credit unions provide lines of credit and/or loans to help cover medical expenses.
Whatever your financial situation, most rehab centers will work with you to ensure you get the treatment you need.
Aetna Better Health of Virginia In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Rehab centers that are in-network with Aetna Better Health of Virginia have an agreement with the insurance provider to offer addiction treatments at a discounted rate. Getting insurance coverage for treatment at an in-network rehab facility generally means you’ll have fewer out-of-pocket expenses.
Out-of-network rehab centers do not have an agreement with Aetna and cannot provide addiction treatments at a discounted rate. Your Aetna plan may provide less coverage or none at all, depending on the restrictions on your plan. You may also have a significant amount of paperwork and an approval process to go through if you choose an out-of-network rehab facility.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask for a list of Virginia rehabs that are in-network with Aetna. You can also call the rehab center(s) you are considering directly to ask if they accept Aetna Better Health of Virginia insurance plans.
How to Find Aetna Better Health of Virginia Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in VA?
Aetna Better Health of Virginia has a large network of inpatient drug and alcohol rehab centers to provide addiction treatments to members. These centers provide high-quality care and use evidence-based, modern treatments as well as support while you’re in rehab and after.
To find a rehab center that is in-network with Aetna Better Health of Virginia, you can use our search tool to find treatment centers in Virginia. You can also search by treatment duration, types of treatment, substances used, and certain populations (e.g., veterans, LGBTQ+) to find a rehab center that accepts your insurance.
American Addiction Centers has inpatient drug treatment centers in the Virginia area, including Sunrise House Treatment Center in New Jersey. With a variety of amenities and features to ensure your comfort while in treatment, Sunrise House is located in an old convent with beautiful historical architecture and breathtaking views. Amenities include expert culinary staff, a fitness center, and more.
Call us any time, day or night, at our free hotline to speak to an admissions navigator. They’ll check your benefits for you on the phone and share information about addiction treatments and rehab centers in the Virginia area that accept your Aetna Better Health plan.