As a California resident with an Ambetter from Health Net plan, some or all of the costs of accessing addiction treatment at alcohol and drug rehab centers should be covered by your health plan.1 The type of plan you have and where you plan to attend rehab will factor into the amount of coverage your health plan provides.
Understanding your health plan’s coverage for accessing treatment at an inpatient or outpatient alcohol and drug rehab center can help provide peace of mind while you or your loved one are in treatment and begin the journey to recovery. Knowing what expenses are covered by your health plan and what expenses you are responsible for paying can help you focus on getting sober and staying in recovery, rather than worrying about finances.
To learn more about your Ambetter from Health Net health plan coverage, call the number on the back of your insurance card. Ask about what your plan covers for addiction treatments, including inpatient and outpatient rehab. You can also call us at American Addiction Centers (AAC) at our helpline . Our Admissions Navigators will verify your insurance for you while you’re on the phone and answer any questions you have.
What Is Health Net California (Ambetter)?
Health Net is a health insurance provider that has been offering coverage for members accessing healthcare services for more than 40 years.2 Health Net’s 3 million+ members have access to the network that includes 85,000 health care providers.2 Nearly 1 in 12 Californians have coverage through Health Net.2
Health Net believes that every person deserves a safety net for their health, regardless of age, income, employment status, or current health status.2 Health Net California is a subsidiary of Centene—a Fortune 50 company that provides health coverage to more than 20 million Americans throughout the country.2 In addition to providing coverage for medical and surgical health services, Health Net also offers access to substance abuse programs, behavioral health services, employee assistance programs, and managed health care products related to prescription drugs.2
In 2021, Health Net announced that California residents can choose an Ambetter from Health Net health plan for affordable family and individual health coverage.1 The Ambetter from Health Net plans offer California residents healthcare options that fit their budget and support their wellbeing.1
Ambetter from Health Net plans are designed to help those who may not have access to employer-sponsored coverage or qualify for Medi-Cal. Each plan includes mental health and substance abuse services and treatments.1
What Substance Addiction Does Health Net California (Ambetter) Cover?
When a person is suffering from an addiction to a substance, known as substance use disorder, they will continue to use the substance despite harmful consequences on their physical and emotional health. Substance use disorder is a disease and a mental health disorder, and treatment is the only way to effectively free yourself from the clutches of addiction.3
Your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan may provide coverage for treating addiction to many different substances, such as:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
To learn more about Health Net California (Ambetter) health plan coverage, call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a customer service representative.
You can also call our helpline at . We’ll verify your insurance for you while you’re on the phone and answer any treatment-related questions you may have.
What Does Health Net California (Ambetter) Insurance Cover in Addiction Treatment?
Health Net California (Ambetter) offers coverage for an extensive range of healthcare services, including treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.1
Addiction treatments come in many different forms, and the type of treatment you access will depend on several factors, including:
- What substances you are using.
- How long and how much you’ve been using the substances.
- The level of support you have from friends, family, and your community.
- Your current living arrangement.
- Whether you have a co-occurring mental health disorder.
- Your personal preference.
Spending time considering those factors may help you determine which type of treatment will work best for your unique needs. Your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan should provide at least partial coverage for the following addiction treatments:4
- Medication-assisted detoxification. Not everyone will need detox, but for many, it’s the first step on the journey to recovery. Detox is the process of the body eliminating itself of substances such as alcohol and drugs. The detox process is often managed with prescription medications to help reduce discomfort. Medical supervision and support are provided around the clock.
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Also known as residential treatment, inpatient programs involve living at the rehab center for a period of days, weeks, or months. You will participate in a variety of therapies (e.g., individual, group) to explore the root of addiction and learn healthy coping mechanisms.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Similar in structure to inpatient programs, PHP programs involve attending intensive treatment 5 or more days a week for approximately 6 hours a day. You can live at home during your time in a PHP program.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs give you the opportunity to attend treatment in the day or evening hours while living at home. Many people transition to outpatient programs after completing an inpatient treatment program. Those who have less severe substance use disorders may attend these programs, too.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). These time-intensive programs are structured in a way that requires attendance 4-6 days a week for approximately 3-4 hours a day. You may live at home while attending an IOP program.
Does Health Net California (Ambetter) Cover Mental Health & Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment?
Yes. Health Net California (Ambetter) plans will cover some, if not all, of the costs of any mental health and co-occurring disorder treatments. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that substance use disorder treatments are an essential health benefit and must be covered by all health insurance providers.5 Exactly what is covered depends on the specific plan you have.
Approximately 50% of people with substance use disorders also have a co-occurring mental health disorder.6, 2nd para This is referred to as a “dual diagnosis”. Mental health conditions that may occur along with substance use disorder include:5
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Many people struggling with mental health conditions turn to substances like drugs and alcohol as a way to numb their symptoms and essentially “self-medicate”.6, under “mental health disorders can contribute” para While this may seem to provide temporary relief, it can end up being more harmful in the long run and end up worsening mental health conditions and their associated symptoms.
Rehab centers in California and throughout the United States offer dual diagnosis treatments for those who have co-occurring disorders. These rehab centers take an integrated approach to treatment, treating both conditions at the same time.
Your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan will provide at least partial coverage for these treatments.
This is because the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) mandates that insurance companies must provide coverage for mental health and substance use disorder treatments as they do medical and surgical services.7
If you have a dual diagnosis, it’s best to attend a program that provides treatment for all of your mental health concerns. Research strongly suggests that those who receive dual diagnosis treatments have better treatment outcomes, including fewer instances of relapse and a better chance of long-term recovery.6
How Long Does Health Net California (Ambetter) Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The duration of your stay in an inpatient alcohol and drug rehab program depends on your treatment needs. Your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan will provide at least partial coverage for the treatments you need. But how long coverage is provided will depend on the specific health plan you have.
To learn what your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan covers and how long coverage lasts, call the number on the back of your insurance card. Be sure to ask about your out-of-pocket expenses, which may include copays, coinsurance, and meeting your deductible.
Or, call our helpline at to speak with an Admissions Navigator. We’ll help you navigate the insurance coverage and admissions process, and can help you find a suitable rehab facility, too.
What if My Health Net California (Ambetter) Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
Treatment for substance use disorders is an essential health benefit that all health insurance providers must at least partially cover. Your Health Net California (Ambetter) plan will provide at least partial coverage for your time in an inpatient drug rehab program. Though you may have some out-of-pocket expenses for treatment, getting treatment now is more important than putting it off down the road. Treatment saves lives.
If paying out-of-pocket expenses presents a financial hardship for you, there are options to help you cover these costs:
- Personal loan or line of credit from a bank or credit union
- Scholarships and grants offered by certain rehab centers and some state governments to low-income individuals
- Payment plans and financing options offered by the rehab center you attend, giving you the chance to pay back the costs over time
Health Net California (Ambetter) In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Health Net California has a large network of providers, including rehab centers, where members can access health services. Any inpatient rehab center that accepts Health Net California (Ambetter) health plans is considered to be “in-network”, which means your insurance plan will at least provide partial coverage.
If the rehab center you attend does not accept your insurance, it is known as “out of network”. Generally, this means your insurance plan may provide less coverage for treatment, or not at all.
Working with a rehab center that is in-network with Health Net California (Ambetter) assures that insurance coverage is provided and you will have fewer out-of-pocket expenses.
What Rehab Centers Take Ambetter Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Ambetter insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Ambetter for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and telehealth, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Located in Hollywood, Florida, Recovery First treats substance use disorders by combining evidence-based therapeutic modalities with top-level care. Recovery First provides a personalized continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida, River Oaks treats substance use disorders through combining evidence-based therapies with world-class amenities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, behavioral disorder treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, outpatient services, and telehealth, all with individualized treatment programs.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Ambetter insurance.
How Can I Check My Health Net (Ambetter) Coverage for Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers in California?
There are a few easy ways to check your Health Net California (Ambetter) coverage for inpatient drug rehab centers in California:
- Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with Member Services
- Call AAC at
- Log in to the member portal on the Health Net California (Ambetter) website and read through the Summary of Benefits of your plan
AAC has many leading treatment centers in and around California, including the top-tier Laguna Treatment Hospital. As the first chemical dependency recovery hospital in Orange County, Laguna Treatment Hospital provides research-based clinical and support services for individuals living with addiction, including those with co-occurring mental health disorders.
To search for more rehab centers in California that accept your health plan, visit our user-friendly search engine: Find Treatment Centers.