Does BCBS of Arizona Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ) is a health insurance company that provides coverage of healthcare services for over 1.3 million Arizona residents.1 As a member of BCBSAZ, at least part of the costs of inpatient drug and alcohol rehab will be covered by your insurance plan. How much coverage is provided depends on the specific policy you have.
If you are seeking addiction treatment for yourself or a loved one, call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask about what your plan covers in regard to substance use disorder. A BCBSAZ customer service representative will go over the details of your plan to help you understand what services are covered and what you can expect to pay out of pocket.
You can also contact us here at American Addiction Centers to verify your insurance and learn more about inpatient rehab. We can verify your insurance for you over the phone. Alternatively, you can complete the two-step form below with your contact and insurance information. We’ll email you within minutes with information about what rehab expenses your insurance covers.
How To Find BCBS of Arizona Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in AZ?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona provides comprehensive coverage for addiction and mental health treatments. If you’re looking for an inpatient drug treatment center in Arizona, there are several AAC facilities in the area that can help you on your path to sobriety. Options include:
Laguna Treatment Hospital in Aliso Viejo, CA: Provides research-based services and treatments for adults suffering from drug and/or alcohol addiction. Also provides treatments for co-occurring disorders. Detoxification, inpatient and outpatient services are provided at this location.
Desert Hope Treatment Center in Las Vegas, NV: Provides detox treatments, intensive outpatient, and residential treatments. Individual care is provided based on your personal history of substance use. Treatment for co-occurring disorders is also provided at this location.
GreenHouse Treatment Center in Grand Prairie, TX: Offers a wide menu of treatments, from inpatient medical detox to outpatient therapy. Individualized treatment is provided to ensure you get the level of care you need.
There are many different addiction treatment options available. The treatment you receive will depend on your needs (e.g., how long you’ve been using, what substances you are using). As a BCBSAZ member, at least some of your addiction treatment will be covered by your insurance plan, no matter what type of treatment(s) you access.
What Is BCBS of Arizona?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ) is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is a federation of 35 independent, community-based companies that provide healthcare coverage to millions of Americans.1
As the largest health insurance company in Arizona, BCBSAZ provides insurance coverage to 1.3 million people residing in the state.1 Founded in 1939, BCBSAZ is a not-for-profit company that employs over 1,300 Arizonans.1
How Much Does BCBS of Arizona Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona may cover the cost of substance use disorder treatments. Depending on your plan, your insurance policy may cover at least part of the costs of the following treatments:2
Detox: To help you safely and comfortably withdrawal from drugs and/or alcohol. Medications may be used to minimize withdrawal symptoms and prevent potentially dangerous side effects of withdrawal.
Inpatient or residential rehab: You will live at the treatment facility for a certain number of days (varies from person to person) to allow you to focus on your recovery in a supportive, safe environment.
Outpatient rehab: You can live at home and attend rehab for a set number of hours/days per week. Outpatient treatment takes place in rehab facilities, hospitals, therapists’ offices, and healthcare clinics.
Medications: When you receive addiction treatment, medications may be prescribed to help you reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings of substances (e.g., alcohol, opioids) to limit the possible side effects and make the journey to sobriety a little easier.
Finding the right treatment center for you may require you to travel outside of Arizona. Between 2017-2021, approximately 65,982 opioid overdoses occurred in Arizona, resulting in over 9,000 deaths.3 This is due in part to the lack of substance abuse resources in the state. BCBS of Arizona has created “Mobilize AZ,” which is committed to investing in local organizations to offer treatment and recovery for substance use disorder and other mental health conditions.3
While resources are currently limited in Arizona, many rehab facilities located in neighboring states provide top-notch rehab treatment for those who need help getting and staying sober.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
Yes. BCBS of Arizona provides coverage for health services of all types, including mental health care and substance use disorder. In July 2021, BCBSAZ joined forces with Quartet Health to increase access to mental health care throughout the state.4 The aim is to make it easier for people to connect with the mental health services they need, including finding a psychiatrist or therapist. The service is meant to help anyone access care if they need it for mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, and substance use disorder.
In 2014, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed into law, which states that all mental health treatment must be covered by health insurance companies in the same manner as physical health services are covered.5 Additionally, the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) states that mental health and addiction treatment must be covered by health insurance companies to any person who needs treatment.6
If you have substance use disorder and other mental health conditions, such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD, this is called a “dual diagnosis,” or co-occurring disorder. Many rehab facilities throughout the country provide mental health treatments alongside treatment for substance use disorder. If you have a dual diagnosis, look for a treatment facility that provides treatments for all of your mental health needs.
At American Addiction Centers, our admissions navigators can help you connect to one of these facilities. Call us at , or chat with us online. We’re available 24/7 to help you navigate getting treatment, every step of the way.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Yes. BCBSAZ does provide coverage for addiction treatment therapies.7 This may include individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy. How much is covered depends on the specific insurance plan you have.
Addiction therapy can help you better understand the underlying factors of your addiction. You can also gain new coping mechanisms and skills for dealing with any cravings or setbacks as well as daily life stressors. Counseling can help you commit to your long-term sobriety and discover your strengths and abilities to get and stay sober.
How Long Does BCBS of Arizona Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The duration of your stay in any alcohol and drug rehab program depends on several factors, including:
- Substances being used
- How long you’ve been using
- Dual diagnoses/any co-occurring mental health conditions
- Outcomes of previous attempts at sobriety/stays in treatment facilities
How long you stay in rehab will depend on your needs. Research shows that people with substance use disorders who stay in treatment for 3 months or longer have better chances of long-term recovery. 8, bullet 5 Staying in treatment for the recommended time sets you up for long-term success.
How much is covered by your insurance depends on your specific plan. You may be responsible for paying some costs out of pocket, such as deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance. To learn exactly what is covered by your insurance plan, call the number on the back of your BCBSAZ card to speak with a customer service representative. You can ask them about what treatments are covered, and how long you may be able to stay in rehab while still covered by insurance.
You can also speak with one of our admissions navigators at AAC by calling or chatting online. We can verify your insurance for you while on the phone and answer any questions you have about the admissions process, treatment options, and the potential length of your stay in rehab.
What If My BCBS of Arizona Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
As a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona member, at least part of your inpatient drug and alcohol rehab program will be covered by your insurance plan. Exactly what is covered and what percentage of treatment is covered by BCBSAZ depends on the plan you have.
While BCBSAZ provides comprehensive coverage for mental health and substance use disorder treatments, you may still have some out-of-pocket expenses. There are ways to help you cover the costs you are responsible for, including:
- Bank and credit union loans/lines of credit
- Payment plans. Many rehab facilities will work with you to set up payment plans, so you can pay your costs back over time.
- Scholarships and grants. Many states provide grants and scholarships to low-income people who need to access rehab.
- Asking friends and family to support your stay in rehab is a way to pay your expenses while also feeling supported by those who care.
BCBS of Arizona In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Any inpatient drug rehab centers that are “in-network” with BCBS of Arizona have an agreement with the insurance company to provide addiction treatments at a discounted rate for members. This means that you will have fewer out-of-pocket costs and an easier time getting insurance coverage to kick in.
Out-of-network rehab facilities do not have an agreement with BCBSAZ. This may mean that none of your addiction treatment is covered, or a smaller percentage will be covered by your insurance plan.
Whenever possible, find a rehab facility that is in-network with BCBS of Arizona. This can help you avoid any headaches re: insurance coverage and keep your own expenses down so you can focus on what matters most: getting and staying sober. American Addiction Centers has facilities around Arizona that are in-network with BCBSAZ. Call us at to inquire about potential rehab facilities you can attend.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How To Verify BCBS of Arizona Coverage of Drug Rehab Centers
Verifying your BCBS of Arizona coverage for drug rehab centers is easy, and there are a few ways you can do it:
Call us at AAC to speak with an admissions navigator at . We’ll verify your insurance for you on the phone and answer all of your questions about treatment options, the admissions process, and rehab facilities that may provide the best treatments for you.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card. Speak with a BCBS of Arizona customer service agent, who can go through the details of your plan to explain what parts of addiction treatments are covered by your plan.
Complete the quick and easy two-step form below with your insurance and contact information. We’ll email you within minutes, outlining your insurance coverage and what treatments are available.
Still looking for the best drug and alcohol inpatient rehab for yourself or a loved one? Visit our “Find Treatment Centers” page to search for leading treatment centers near Arizona. Some local rehab facilities that may be of interest include:
Laguna Treatment Hospital in Aliso Viejo, CA.
Desert Hope Treatment Center in Las Vegas, NV.