Does BCBS of Colorado Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Colorado is a health insurance company that provides coverage for more than 106 million people across the United States.1 Anthem BCBS serves members as a Blue Cross Blue Shield licensee in several states, including Colorado.1
If you are an Anthem BCBS of Colorado member, at least some of the costs of addiction treatment are covered by your insurance plan. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado drug treatment coverage varies, depending on your specific insurance plan.2
To check your coverage, call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with an Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado customer service agent. Alternatively, you can call the rehab center directly. An admissions navigator will verify your insurance for you while you’re on the phone and discuss how to pay for rehab with your insurance coverage.
You can also complete the form below with your insurance and personal contact information, and we’ll email you back with more information about your insurance coverage.
How to Find BCBS of Colorado-covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in CO?
When you choose a rehab facility that is in-network with Anthem BCBS of Colorado, that means that the facility has an agreement with your insurance provider to provide treatment and other services at a discounted rate. Whenever possible, it’s best to choose a rehab that is in-network to keep your out-of-pocket expenses lower.3
Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies—including Anthem BCBS of Colorado—have a national designation program that recognizes nationally accredited treatment facilities.2 These facilities provide evidence-based, patient-focused care and help people with addiction throughout the United States.4 Click here to view the BCBS Directory of Providers and find a rehab facility in the Anthem BCBS of Colorado network.
American Addiction Centers has top-notch treatment facilities across the United States. Visit our website to find a listing of treatment centers in Colorado that accept Anthem BCBS of Colorado and throughout the rest of the country.
What Is BCBS of Colorado?
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado has provided health insurance plans for individuals living in Colorado for over 80 years. Anthem, Inc., the parent company, is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.3 (1st para) The company serves members living in Colorado.
Many people living in Colorado struggle with addiction. From 2000-2015, over 10,000 Colorado citizens died from a drug overdose.5 (2nd bullet list) It doesn’t have to be this way. If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, entering treatment can save your life. Insurance coverage can help you cover the cost of rehab. Members in Colorado have access to a wide range of health care providers, including addiction treatment facilities and providers.
How Much Does BCBS of Colorado Cover For Addiction Treatment?
If Anthem BCBS of Colorado is your health insurance provider, take some comfort in knowing that at least some of your addiction treatment will be covered by your insurance plan. If Blue Shield Colorado is your health insurance provider, your policy will cover at least some of the costs of rehab.
Addiction treatments that are at least partially covered by Anthem BCBS of Colorado include: 6(“Learn About Substance Use Disorder” section)
- Inpatient or residential rehab. Inpatient rehab means you will stay at a hospital or rehab facility around the clock (24/7). You may stay for weeks or months, depending on your needs.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). You will live at home and access treatment at a rehab facility, hospital, or clinic during daytime hours.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). You will live at home and attend treatment approximately 3 days a week, typically attending rehab meetings and therapy 10-20 hours per week.
- Outpatient treatment. You can continue to live at home while attending treatment and counseling at a treatment facility.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado Provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
Yes, Anthem BCBS of Colorado does provide some coverage for mental health treatment and mental health facilities. The Affordable Care Act states that mental health treatment must be covered the same way physical health is covered by insurance providers.7,8 The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act is a law ensuring that mental health and addiction treatment coverage is provided by health insurance providers, including Anthem BCBS of Colorado.7
This means that addiction treatment and any other mental health treatments you receive will at least be partially covered by your insurance plan. If you have substance use disorder along with another mental health condition (e.g, depression, anxiety, PTSD), this is known as a co-occurring disorder or dual diagnosis.9 The amount of coverage provided for your mental health treatments depends on the insurance plan you have. Anthem BCBS of Colorado can help you find and access mental health treatment.10 So both co-occurring disorder treatment and stand-alone drug and alcohol rehab fall under this mandate.
Taking care of your mental health is critical when you are in a rehab facility or undergoing addiction treatment. For this reason, many treatment facilities provide care and treatment for substance use disorders and mental health disorders at the same time. Just as you would seek medical care for a broken ankle, you should seek treatment for any mental health struggles you are facing. You don’t need to go through this alone, and help is available.
How Long Does BCBS of Colorado Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Anthem BCBS of Colorado has many different policies and plans for its members. All of the plans cover at least some of the cost of addiction treatment, but the amount of coverage varies from plan to plan. How long your coverage lasts depends on your individual needs, too.
Generally, individuals who attend treatment for 3 months or more have the best outcomes. Research shows that the longer you stay in treatment, the higher your chances for staying sober long-term.11 (bullet 5)
Look up your Anthem BCBS of Colorado plan on the member portal on their website, or call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn how many days of treatment are covered by your plan each year. A customer service agent can help you learn more about what is covered by your plan, help you find a treatment facility, and help you navigate the insurance process.
What if My BCBS of Colorado Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
Anthem BCBS of Colorado will at least partially cover inpatient drug rehab programs. How much is covered and what you are responsible for paying—such as deductibles and copays—depends on your specific plan. Before you enter a rehab treatment program, it’s always a good idea to understand what is covered and what you will need to pay out of pocket. Ask an Anthem BCBS customer service agent the following:
- What does your plan require to access services? For example, do you need to get a pre-authorization form completed by your physician before insurance kicks in?
- Which rehab treatments are covered by your plan?
- How much you will be responsible for paying out-of-pocket?
- What percentage of rehab costs are covered by your plan?
- What is your deductible? What are your copays?
Even if your insurance policy does not cover all of your rehab expenses, there are other ways to help pay for treatment, including:
- Private loans. Many financial institutions offer loans to individuals seeking help paying for healthcare costs, including rehab.
- Payment plans. Treatment facilities offer payment plans that allow you to pay back your out-of-pocket costs cover time.
- Scholarships and grants. Many treatment facilities offer scholarships and grants to individuals who demonstrate a financial need to help pay for treatment. Some states and federal funding may also be available to low-income individuals who wish to enter rehab.
- It isn’t always easy to ask for help, but family and friends can help you raise the funds to pay for treatment. Getting financial and emotional support from those who care about you can help you not only cover the costs of rehab but help you stay strong and supported throughout the process.
BCBS of Colorado In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Rehab centers that are in-network with Anthem BCBS of Colorado have an agreement with the insurance provider to provide treatment and rehab services at a discounted rate to Anthem members. This means lower out-of-pocket expenses for you.3 It’s best to work with an in-network rehab facility whenever possible.
Any rehab facility that is out-of-network with Anthem BCBS of Colorado does not have an agreement with the insurance company, and therefore costs will generally run higher. If you do work with an out-of-network facility, you may end up paying more for the treatment.
Choosing an in-network rehab facility allows you to pay less and typically have less paperwork to fill out for insurance coverage to kick in. If you can, choose a provider that is in-network with Anthem BCBS of Colorado. Top-notch treatment facilities in the state and around the country accept Anthem BCBS of Colorado.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.