Does Independence Blue Cross Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
Independence Blue Cross is a health insurance company that provides healthcare coverage for nearly 3 million members in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the surrounding region.1(Our company box) If Independence Blue Cross is your health insurance provider and you are seeking addiction treatment for yourself or a loved one, the cost of rehab may feel a bit overwhelming. Take comfort in knowing at least some of the costs of alcohol and drug rehab will be covered by your insurance plan. The amount of rehab costs covered by Independence Blue Cross depends on the specific plan you have.
To learn more about what your health insurance plan covers for addiction treatment, call the number on the back of your insurance card. An Independence Blue Cross customer service agent can go through the specific details of your plan and let you know exactly what is covered.
Check Independence Blue Cross Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
There are other ways to check your Independence Blue Cross insurance coverage for addiction treatment. Log in to the member portal on Independence Blue Cross’s website and read over the details about your specific insurance plan to learn what addiction treatments are covered and what you may be responsible for paying out-of-pocket.
You can also contact us here at American Addiction Centers. Call our hotline at to speak with one of our admissions navigators. We will verify your insurance for you on the phone.
If you prefer, you can complete the two-step form below with your insurance and contact information, and we’ll email you within minutes to detail what is covered by your insurance. Or contact us using the chat feature here on our website, and you’ll be connected to an admissions navigator who can answer your questions for you online.
What is Independence Blue Cross?
Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. As the leading health insurance company in southeastern Pennsylvania, Independence serves more than 3 million members in the Philadelphia region.1 With their affiliates, they serve more than 8 million people nationwide.2 (1st para)
Independence Blue Cross has provided health insurance coverage for more than 80 years, working to enhance the health and well-being of the people and communities the company serves.2 (1st para) Independence Blue Cross provides coverages for national businesses, employer groups, small businesses, individuals, and families as well as portable benefits for members who travel or live abroad.2 (3rd para) They also provide Medicare and Medicaid Advantage products as well as vision and dental coverage.2 (3rd para)
Independence Blue Cross Plans
Independence Blue Cross offers a wide variety of plans that allow members to choose a plan that suits them based on their healthcare needs, preferred healthcare providers, and budget. Plan options include:3, page 6
- With the highest monthly premiums but most comprehensive coverage, gold plans cover approximately 80% of your healthcare costs once your deductible is met. Gold plans are ideal for those who anticipate using a lot of healthcare services, as out-of-pocket costs are lower for members with these plans.
- Moderately priced monthly premiums and lower out-of-pocket costs. Silver plans cover approximately 70% of your healthcare costs once your deductible is met. These plans are ideal for those who want to save money on monthly premiums while keeping out-of-pocket costs lower.
- Bronze. With the lowest monthly premiums, bronze plans typically have higher deductibles and copays (out-of-pocket costs). Once you reach your deductible, Independence Blue Cross will cover approximately 60% of your healthcare costs. These plans are ideal for those who don’t plan to access a lot of healthcare services.
The gold, silver, and bronze tiers are standard amongst all types of plans Independence Blue Cross offers, including their HMO Proactive, HMO, PPO, and EPO plans.3, page 7
If you are seeking addiction treatment and have an Independence Blue Cross plan, rest assured that at least some of your treatment will be covered by your insurance plan.
What Will Independence Blue Cross Insurance Cover?
There are many options when it comes to addiction treatment. The treatment you receive will depend on a number of factors, such as how long you’ve been misusing drugs and/or alcohol, the types of substances you use, your overall health status, and the level of care you require.
As an Independence Blue Cross member, at least some of your addiction treatment will be covered by your insurance plan, no matter what type of treatment you access.
Treatments that may be covered under your Independence Blue Cross insurance plan include:4, pp 55-56
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT). Medication-assisted treatment involves using prescription medications to allow you to comfortably and safely withdraw from drugs and alcohol during the detoxification process. Medications may continue to be prescribed throughout the duration of treatment if needed to help curb cravings and treat other mental health needs.
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Inpatient facilities — residential rehab — provide a place for individuals to live at the rehab facility throughout the duration of inpatient treatment. Trained staff is available 24/7 to provide care, support, and guidance during your stay in treatment. Individual and group counseling are integral parts of inpatient rehab.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). PHP programs occur in a hospital or clinic setting. You will attend approximately five days a week, five hours a day. These programs are ideal for those who are unable to attend inpatient rehab but still are wholly focused on getting and staying sober. PHP programs involve individual- and group-counseling sessions.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). IOP programs require patients to attend the rehab program approximately three days a week for three to four hours each day. Such programs are ideal for those who prefer to attend to their normal routines, such as work and family responsibilities.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient treatment gives individuals the opportunity to live at home while attending treatment. Most outpatient programs take place in a rehab facility, hospital, clinic, or therapists’ office in the evening hours. The number of days and hours required for outpatient programs varies, depending on the program.
Your insurance benefits will be paid directly to the hospital or treatment facility where you attend treatment. For maximum insurance benefits and coverage, you must work with a Preferred Provider (a rehab facility that is in-network with Independence Blue Cross).4, page 55
Does Independence Blue Cross Insurance Cover Mental Health Care?
Yes, Independence Blue Cross provides insurance coverage for mental health care, including treatment of substance use disorder and other mental health conditions.5 These services are considered an essential health benefit and are available to members with all plans.6
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) that was passed in 2014 is a law that states that mental health treatment must be covered by all health insurance companies. This ensures that people with mental health needs get the same treatment as those with physical health needs.6
If you struggle with substance use disorder and another mental health condition, such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD, this is known as a “dual diagnosis,” or co-occuring disorders. Many rehab facilities in Pennsylvania and the surrounding region provide mental health treatment alongside addiction treatment. This ensures you get the proper care and treatments for both health disorders.
Standalone rehab for substance use disorder, such as heroin addiction, is also partially covered by health insurance plans, even if you do not have a dual diagnosis.
How Long Does Independence Blue Cross Insurance Cover Rehab?
You may have the peace of mind in knowing that Independence will cover at least some of the costs of addiction treatment, but for how much and how long? This depends on your specific insurance plan.
For Independence Blue Cross members, your addiction treatment must be deemed medically necessary for coverage to be provided for treatment.3, p 18 On their website, the company states that the treatment must be “clinically appropriate in terms of type, frequency, extent, site and duration, and considered effective for the patient’s illness, injury or disease.” In other words, your primary care physician, along with the addiction treatment facility, can recommend how long you should stay in rehab in order to provide the best outcomes for you.
Depending on your plan, you may still be responsible for paying out-of-pocket costs for treatment, including your deductible, copays, and co-insurance.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn how long coverage is provided for addiction treatment. Ask the customer service representative for information about exactly how long coverage will be provided for rehab (e.g., how many days you can stay and be assured insurance coverage).
Or, call our hotline at to speak with one of our friendly admissions navigators who can answer all of your questions, verify your insurance while you’re on the phone, and discuss your treatment options with you.
What If My Independence Blue Cross Policy Does Not Cover Rehab?
At least some of your addiction treatment/rehab stay will be covered by your insurance as an Independence Blue Cross member. What percentage of treatment is covered as well as the amount of your deductible and copays depends on the specific plan you have. This means you may have some out-of-pocket costs that you are responsible for paying when accessing treatment. Finances are a concern for many, but don’t let that stop you from prioritizing your health and getting treatment when you need it. There are many options for paying for your portion of rehab expenses, including:
- Personal loans and/or a line of credit.
- Payment plans offered by the rehab facility so you can pay back your costs over time.
- Scholarships and grants. Many rehab facilities and some states offer scholarships and grants to low-income individuals who need treatment.
- Fundraising/crowdfunding. Ask for financial support from your friends and family to help you cover your costs.
Independence Blue Cross In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Rehab Centers
The Independence Blue Cross health insurance network is a group of hospitals, doctors, and healthcare providers (including rehab facilities) that have a contract to provide services to members of the Independence Blue Cross health insurance company.
When you find a rehab facility that is in-network, this means they are a provider who has a contract with Independence Blue Cross to provide rehab and addiction treatments to members at a discounted rate.
Out-of-network means that the rehab facility does not have a contract with Independence Blue Cross. This often means you will pay higher prices for treatment and, in some cases, coverage will not be provided at all, except in an emergency.
Whenever possible, find a rehab facility that is in-network with Independence Blue Cross to ensure your insurance will cover some of the costs of treatment. American Addiction Centers has many rehab facilities that are in-network with Independence Blue Cross. Contact us today at or complete the two-step form below, and we’ll verify your insurance for you and share information about in-network facilities you may want to consider.
What Rehab Centers Take Independence Blue Cross Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.