Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Indiana covered Addiction Treatment
If you or a loved one lives in Indiana and is struggling with addiction, you’re not alone. According to the Indiana Drug Overdose Dashboard, in 2020, there were 1,875 opioid-related overdose deaths.1 While this number doesn’t include general addiction statistics, it’s clear that there’s an epidemic; so if you’re struggling, you’re not alone. Getting on the path to recovery can be daunting—and expensive. That’s where health insurance can help you. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Indiana plan, which is run by Anthem, you may be able to receive rehab for drug or alcohol rehab at little to no out-of-pocket cost to you.
Under federal health care law, all health plans must provide some level of coverage for mental and behavioral health care, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers.2 This may include your Anthem BCBS of Indiana health plan. Coverage may vary based on the plan you’ve selected and the center at which you receive care.
To verify your levels of coverage, you can call the number on the back of your Anthem BCBS of Indiana insurance card to speak to a representative. You can also get more information about your health plan by asking the rehab center you’d like to attend to check your coverage. All American Addiction Centers (AAC) facilities have staff members and online chat functions that you can use to check your benefits. Finally, you can enter your information in the SSVOB form at the bottom of this page to check your information instantly.
How to Find Anthem BCBS of Indiana Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in IN?
With so many options available for care, you may feel like it’s overwhelming trying to find one that’s right for you and is covered under your BCBS of Indiana Anthem plan. It’s understandable if you don’t know where to start, but that’s where Project Know’s treatment facility locator comes in handy. You can use this tool to locate top-notch AAC facilities in and around Indiana. Once you find a location, you can call the center’s helpline to talk to a real person and verify your benefits and coverage.
And, while it’s safe to assume that many people use their BCBS of Indiana Anthem health plan to seek covered health drug treatment, there is no definite data available. Using your insurance may be the most affordable way that you can access inpatient drug treatment. Be sure to give the AAC helpline a call if you need more information.
What Is Anthem BCBS of Indiana?
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana is a combination of two prominent companies in the United States—Anthem, Inc. and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Anthem is the parent company of managed health care plans sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield in many states, including Indiana.3 Nearly 1 in 8 Americans are covered by an Anthem or Anthem-affiliated plan.4
With its national reach, many providers across the country are included in the Anthem BCBS networks across the country, including Indiana. To verify the number of rehab centers that may be covered in your network within Indiana, be sure to call the number on the back of your insurance card or call an AAC representative.
How Much Does Anthem BCBS of Indiana Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
The coverage details of your plan, including how much Anthem BCBS of Indiana covers, will vary upon the plan you’ve selected and the facility at which you seek care. Similarly, the types of treatment you may receive will vary upon your unique situation. Here’s a list of some of the most common treatment methods that your provider may suggest you receive:
- Inpatient/residential rehab: With an inpatient or residential rehab treatment, you’d receive and live at a facility 24/7 and receive medical care. Typical inpatient rehab programs last a few days or weeks, while residential rehab programs last for a few months.5
- Outpatient rehab/therapy: With an outpatient rehab/therapy treatment, you’d visit a treatment facility to receive your care, which often includes therapy, but then you’d return home after the session is done.5
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): With an IOP, your treatment would combine elements of inpatient and outpatient programs. Specifically, an IOP typically involves you receiving more care than an outpatient appointment once per week, but less care than a partial hospitalization program or an inpatient/residential rehab program.6
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs): With a PHP, you’d visit a hospital for portions of the day, multiple days a week, but you’re allowed to return home and not spend the night at a facility.7 (“What is it)
Please keep in mind that these treatment methods may not be the ones that your provider suggests for you, nor is it guaranteed that they’d be covered under your BCBS of Indiana Anthem plan.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana Provides Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), which is a federal health care reform law, mandates coverage for mental and behavioral health services, as they’re 1 of the 10 essential health benefits.1 What this means is that all plans, including your Anthem BCBS of Indiana plan, must provide some level of coverage for:1
- Inpatient mental and behavioral health care services.
- Treatment for behavioral health disorders.
- Substance use disorder treatment.
This coverage mandate enables millions of Americans to get the care they need, regardless of whether they have a substance use disorder or mental health disorder—or both, which is referred to as a co-occurring disorder.8 If you have a co-occurring disorder, it’s suggested that treatment for both conditions be received to promote full recovery.9
Does Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Under the ACA’s essential health benefits mandate, your Anthem BCBS of Indiana plan BCBS must provide some level of coverage for addiction treatment therapies.1 The exact plan coverage details will vary, as will the extent to which a treatment therapy may be covered. This is why it’s so important to verify your benefits and coverage with an Anthem BCBS of Indiana plan representative, or with an AAC staff member.
How Long Does Anthem BCBS of Indiana Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The length of time your Anthem BCBS of Indiana will cover Indiana addiction rehab will vary depending on multiple factors. These factors include, but are not limited to, the plan you select, the facility at which you seek treatment, and the treatment you need. Because Anthem BCBS of Indiana is a national company, there are many different plan designs and coverages that may be available. What’s more, your specific plan may have more cost-sharing requirements (e.g., deductible or copays) than someone else’s plan.
Regardless of your insurance coverage, it’s important to listen and adhere to your provider’s treatment plan for you, as they’re the ones with the knowledge of how to help you overcome your addiction. Despite every person being different, many experts agree that treatment should last at least 3 months to be as effective as possible, with negative outcomes significantly reduced.10
To avoid surprise out-of-pocket medical bills, and to ensure you’re making the wisest health care choice for you, call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak to a plan representative who can help explain your benefits to you. You can also call a rehab center’s helpline and see if a staff member can walk you through this coverage as well.
What if My Anthem BCBS of Indiana Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
Depending on the rehab center you choose, your insurance company may not cover all or part of your treatment. If this is the case, you should not push off treatment. Instead, you should ask about alternative financing options, which may be available to you. Be sure to ask about special financing opportunities, or whether you can apply for a scholarship opportunity to help offset some of the costs associated with getting rehab care.
Anthem BCBS of Indiana In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Coverage often depends largely upon whether a facility of choice is considered to be in or out of your insurance network. An in-network provider is one contracted with your Anthem BCBS of Indiana health plan, and, in many cases, receiving care at these providers often results in lower health care costs for you.11 Out-of-network providers are those that are not contracted with your insurance company. In most cases, receiving care at an out-of-network provider will result in higher health care costs.12
To check whether a provider is an in- or out-of-network provider, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card or log in to the member portal. You can also ask the facility at which you intend to receive care to check whether they’re in or out of your insurance network under your Anthem BCBS of Indiana health plan.
What Rehab Centers Take Anthem BCBS of Indiana Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify Anthem BCBS of Indiana Insurance Coverage for Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
Searching for a rehab center that provides quality care and is accepted under your Anthem BCBS of Indiana health plan network can seem overwhelming. But you’re not alone; hundreds, if not thousands of people every year use their insurance to finance their rehab. One thing that can make it easier is knowing that any AAC-accredited facility will provide top-notch care, regardless of provider network or insurance. What’s more, AAC works with a wide variety of insurance companies, making it highly possible that your plan may cover an AAC facility. Another tool at your disposal to simplify the process of finding in-network drug rehab centers is to use Project Know’s treatment facility locator, which will help you find AAC treatment centers near you.
To verify whether your plan considers an AAC facility near you to be an in-network provider, you have a few options. First, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card. You may also be able to verify your benefits and coverage by logging in to your member portal and viewing the summary of benefits and coverage, or by contacting an agent online. Finally, if you choose to seek care at an AAC center, can call the helpline to speak to a real person that can help verify your benefits while you’re on the phone. The final option is to enter your insurance information in the form below and instantly verify your benefits.