Does BCBS of Minnesota Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota provides coverage for those seeking alcohol and drug rehabilitation. It can cover outpatient or inpatient care and the coinsurance or copay amounts that come with the cost of rehab.1 (“Health plan coverage for behavioral or mental health conditions”, paragraph 1) There are an assortment of rehab facilities you can choose from, and there are even online services available for addictions, such as Doctor on Demand. 1 (“Some Blue Cross plans include online treatment programs”)
If you are uncertain what your BCBS of Minnesota plan covers, you can check your coverage using the information provided on the back of your insurance card. You are also able to use one of American Addiction Centers’ channels (such as chat, phone call, or the SSVOB form) to reach out and inquire about your plan’s specific coverage.
How To Find BCBS of Minnesota Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in MN?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) can quickly check your insurance coverage for you. All you need to do is supply some basic information regarding your insurance plan on the AAC website’s SSVOB form, through the online chat, or by calling the AAC helpline. Calling the helpline puts you in touch with a customer service representative who can answer your questions in real-time while you are on the phone.
In 2018-2019, over 2,000 Minnesotans ages 12 and older sought help for substance use by going to Minnesota drug rehab.2 (“Minnesota”, Table 57) Throughout Minnesota and the United States, Blue Cross Blue Shield provides coverage for some or all of these stays in rehab. AAC has highly ranked treatment centers nationwide that you can choose to attend should you find one with a program that best meets your needs.
What Is BCBS of Minnesota?
BCBS began in Minnesota in 1933 when seven of St. Paul’s hospitals united to form the Minnesota Hospital Association, becoming America’s first prepaid healthcare network.3 (“Did you know…”, paragraph 1) Today, about one in three Minnesotans has a health plan with BCBS, and, nationwide, BCBS serves over 2.5 million members.3 (“Today we are the leading health plan in the state”)
Within 50 miles of Saint Paul, you will find 16 rehab centers that accept BCBS insurance.4 You can use BCBS of MN’s Find a Doctor search engine to locate a doctor or facility that is nearest to you.
How Much Does BCBS of Minnesota Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
BCBS of MN does cover some residential treatment centers Minnesota, and some or all the cost might be covered depending on your plan. For example, if you have the Value Bronze 6000 Plan, outpatient health care services for office visits and individual, group, or family therapy are covered.5 (Page 18) If you have an in-network provider, you pay the office a $40 copay for the first three office visits before paying a 30% coinsurnance.5 (Page 18) In-network hospital-based partial programs, day treatment, and intensive outpatient programs have a 30% coinsurance after the deductible. 5 (Page 18) A 30% coinsurance also applies to in-network inpatient hospital and treatment facility services. 5 (Page 18)
On the other hand, if you have the Value Gold 1000 Plan, in-network outpatient services will cost you nothing after the general physician office visit’s $30 copay.6 (Page 18) In-network hospital-based partial programs, day treatment, and intensive outpatient programs have a 20% coinsurance after the deductible.6 (Page 18) A 20% coinsurance after the deductible exists for in-network inpatient services.6 (Page 18)
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota May Cover
Coverage for detox, rehab, and other types of addiction treatment will vary depending on your specific Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi insurance plan. Still, your insurance plan should provide at least some coverage for substance use, including alcohol, marijuana, or opioids.
BCBS of Mississippi may cover several types of addiction treatment, including:
- Medical detox: Medical detox can help you avoid significant side effects as your body rids the drugs in your system. Professionals can help you comfortably and safely manage your withdrawal symptoms and prepare for ongoing addiction treatment such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient treatment programs: Inpatient programs allow you to live at the facility 24/7 for several weeks or months. You’ll process emotions, learn new habits, and practice living life without substances. This can be a good option if you want around-the-clock care.
- Outpatient programs: If you need to attend to family, school, or work during treatment, you may benefit from an outpatient program. You can live at home and attend treatment several hours per week. Many times outpatient programs follow inpatient treatment as a step-down.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): For those who can live at home but need more intensive care than a traditional outpatient program, there are intensive outpatient programs. An IOP allows you to stay at home overnight while having several hours of treatment throughout the week.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): Partial hospitalization programs are a good option for those who need full-time care but can return home at night. You’ll attend treatment up to at least five days a week for several hours each day.
- Aftercare: Aftercare helps ensure that the changes you made in treatment last over the long term. This part of your program will give you the support you need to maintain your new habits and substance-free lifestyle.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
People who have substance use disorders are likely to also have a mental health condition, which is known as a co-occurring disorder. 7 (Paragraph 1) It is estimated that about 9.2 million American adults have a co-occurring disorder, which is often treated using traditional counseling techniques as well as medication-assisted therapy.7 (Paragraphs 2-3) It is typically more ideal to treat the substance use disorder and any co-occurring mental health disorders together and that treatment be tailored to that specific combination.8 (“Diagnosis and Treatment”, Paragraphs 1-2)
Per the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance providers must designate coverage for mental health care and treatment.9 Most individual and small employer health insurance plans must cover both mental health and substance use disorder services, which includes rehabilitative services.9 This means that, for example, this mandate covers the services you need for anxiety treatment and stand-alone heroin rehab.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
There are different forms of therapy covered by BCBS of Minnesota which are provided at various drug rehab Minnesota locations. One popularly used form of psychotherapy is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which is based on the core principles that psychological problems are partially based on unhelpful ways of thinking, on unhelpful behavior, and that people can learn better ways of coping with them.10 (Paragraph 3) CBT can help you learn to calm your mind and relax your body, develop a better sense of confidence in your abilities, face your fears, and use problem-solving skills to deal with difficult situations.10 (Paragraphs 4-5)
Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) is another form of psychotherapy that coaches mindfulness (being fully aware in the present), distress tolerance, emotional regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness (asking for what you want and saying no while maintaining relationships with others and your own self-respect).11 (“Skills Training”, paragraph 2) This builds acceptance strategies on top of the foundational behavioral change techniques taught in CBT through your counselor validating and accepting you as you are.11 (“What is the ‘D’ in DBT?”, paragraph 2)
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is often used in rehab facilities in conjunction with counseling and behavioral therapies, creating a holistic approach to addressing substance abuse disorders by viewing them as a physical health condition.12 (Paragraph 1) MAT has been shown to help sustain recovery and prevent or lessen the risk of opioid overdose.12 (Paragraph 2)
How Long Does BCBS of Minnesota Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Studies show that people who remain in treatment for at least three months have better treatment outcomes than those who do not participate in the full 90 days.13 (“Abstract”) Those who are provided with recovery resources following treatment are more likely to achieve long-term recovery.14 (“Implications and Future Directions”, paragraph 2) 12-step programs, community and social support, and knowing the negative consequences of substance use are pivotal in initiating and maintaining recovery—things with which Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota drug treatment assists.14 (“Abstract”, paragraph 2)
Remember, you can learn about the specifics of your plan by utilizing the information given on your insurance card. Knowing these details can help you plan the length of your stay in treatment.
What If My BCBS of Minnesota Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
BCBS of Minnesota might not be able to cover all of your stay, which is why it is important to know if the rehab you plan to stay at offers scholarships or financing options. The main distributors of scholarships are individual facilities, and you can learn more about their scholarship options by directly contacting these rehabs.15 (“Who Provides the Scholarships?”, paragraph 1)
Corporations that manage individual facilities also tend to offer scholarships, and funding could be available for people who qualify.15 (“Who Provides the Scholarships?”, paragraph 2) In addition to that, nationwide and community-based non-profit organizations might offer scholarships.15 (“Who Provides the Scholarships?”, paragraph 3)
Inpatient and outpatient facilities often provide scholarships, although the former tend to be more expensive due to the intensive care level that they provide.15 (“What Treatments Are Covered?”, paragraph 1) Any type of treatment that is considered “luxury” or “optional” (such as acupuncture or massage therapy) will likely not be covered. 15 (“What Treatments Are Covered?”, paragraph 1)
Third parties, the state, or the federal government-run no-cost facilities that can provide you with a rehab stay at no cost to yourself.15 (“State-Funded, No-Cost Facilities”, paragraph 1) Also, there are facilities that offer income-based enrollment, which makes rehab more affordable with payment assistance features like sliding-scale fees. 15 (“State-Funded, No-Cost Facilities”, paragraph 2)
BCBS of Minnesota In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota drug treatment providers work in-network, which means that these facilities already work with BCBS of MN. Out-of-network facilities are simply those that do not currently accept BCBS plans. If you are unclear whether your preferred facility is in-network, you can inquire with the facility, with BCBS, or by having AAC validate your insurance coverage for you online or over the phone.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How To Verify BCBS of Minnesota Coverage of Drug Rehab Centers?
American Addiction Centers can quickly check your insurance coverage. Whether you prefer verifying over the phone or on the AAC website, you can get your query answered in a matter of minutes. The information you’ll need to give to the helpline’s representative is located right on your insurance card. This is an important first step in deciding which BCBS of Minnesota rehab center is going to be the one to get you started on your recovery journey.