Does BCBS Of North Carolina Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Alcohol and drug addiction is a difficult challenge to overcome, and you or a loved one should not do it alone. Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBS of North Carolina) offers several plans that provide partial or full coverage for inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers. We are proud of everyone who makes the decision to receive treatment and want them to know that there are ways to heal without having to worry about the financial requirements.
If you or someone you care about is ready to receive treatment and is curious what facilities are covered by their plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, there are a few ways you can find out. You can call rehabilitation centers you’re interested in to check your coverage by providing the facility with just a few pieces of personal information. You can also call the number located on the back of your insurance card for more information from BCBS about your specific plan. Finally, you are always welcome to reach out to American Addiction Centers (AAC) for help finding coverage answers via chat, phone, or this form.
How to Find BCBS Of North Carolina Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in NC?
AAC wants to help you find the answers you need to feel comfortable pursuing treatment. For personal help finding out if your BCBS of North Carolina plan covers a specific facility or what is included in your coverage, there are a few ways you can reach out to us:
- Talk with a representative via the chat feature on our website.
- Enter your information into the form found here.
- Call our 24/7 helpline at . Someone is ready now to speak with you and check your benefits while you’re on the phone.
While it is very dependent upon the plan, it is likely that your stay at a rehabilitation facility will be either fully or partially covered by your BCBS of North Carolina insurance.
What is BCBS Of North Carolina?
BCBS of North Carolina is a well-known insurance company and provider with an 88-year history in the state and operations facilities in Durham, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem. They currently serve 3.81 million North Carolina citizens.1 BCBS of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the national Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, which serves over 100 million members worldwide.2
How Much Does BCBS Of North Carolina Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
The covered costs associated with addiction treatment through your BCBS of North Carolina insurance are completely dependent upon your insurance plan and treatment needs. BCBS of North Carolina divides its plans and levels of coverage into 3 categories:3
- Bronze – This plan will have the lowest monthly payment requirements, but also covers the least amount of medical care of all 3 plans.
- Silver – This plan has slightly higher monthly payments than bronze and covers routine medical procedures as well as the more extreme medical scenarios covered by bronze.
- Gold – This plan has the highest monthly payments but also covers the most amount of medical care of all 3 plans.
Based on which plan you have, it is possible that BCBS of North Carolina will cover the cost of most or all the following types of treatment:
- Inpatient/residential rehab
- Outpatient rehab/therapy
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
BCBS of North Carolina may also provide coverage for part or all of the treatments you receive as a part of being in an inpatient rehab facility, such as therapy sessions you attend, psychiatrists you receive treatment from, or medications/prescriptions you are given throughout your stay at an inpatient facility.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
Depending on your plan, BCBS of North Carolina may cover most or all of your stay in a mental health facility. It is very common for patients to deal with co-occurring diseases, such as addiction and depression or anxiety. In 2019, it was estimated that approximately 3.6 million adults in the United States suffered from both substance addiction and serious mental illness.4 When seeking treatment for one of these conditions, it is important to seek treatment for both at the same time. Effective treatments will help a patient overcome not only their drug addiction, but also any issues they have as a result of their addiction (psychological or medical.).5
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance providers are required to provide coverage for mental healthcare and treatment, so both co-occurring disorder treatment and standalone rehab fall under this mandate.6 This means that BCBS of NC can provide coverage for treatment of both your addiction and any co-occurring mental health conditions you may have.
How Long Does BCBS Of North Carolina Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
In general, longer treatment is considered most effective when treating drug and alcohol addiction, with research supporting a need for a stay of at least 3 months.5 While everyone is different and every patient has different needs, we recommend allowing yourself as much time to heal as possible. As previously noted, the length of your stay covered by insurance is dependent on your specific plan. An easy way to determine what your plan covers is to call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. A BCBS of North Carolina representative will be available to help you determine what length of treatment your plan might cover.
What if my BCBS Of North Carolina Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
Depending on which rehab center or treatment facility you choose, there might be financing or scholarship options available to help you pay for inpatient treatment. These are dependent upon your situation and can be explored by calling to speak with one of our admission navigators. We’re available 24/7 at .
Receiving immediate treatment is crucial. Don’t let financial fear keep you from moving forward with treatment. Pushing it off until later could be dangerous as the decision to pursue it is a hard one to reach. There are options available to you; we want to help you find them so you can find yourself again without fear of financial strain.
BCBS Of North Carolina In Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
It is always important to check that a facility or provider is in your coverage network before pursuing treatment with them. If a facility or provider is not within your network, you are likely to pay more as less of your treatment with them will be covered. The higher your level of coverage (Gold plan being the highest), the larger your network of eligible providers and facilities that you can seek treatment from at the lowest possible cost to you.
How to Check BCBS Of North Carolina Drug Rehab Coverage?
There are a few ways you can check to see if a treatment provider is in or out of your network:
- Most treatment facilities can verify if they are within your network. If you’re interested in a specific facility, call them with your insurance information (located on your insurance card), and they can confirm whether or not they are within your coverage network.
- The phone number located on the back of your insurance card will connect you with a BCBS of North Carolina representative who can talk you through your in-network treatment provider and facility options.
- Visit BCBS of North Carolina’s website and access their “Find a Doctor, Drug, or Facility” page. From there, you can select the type of insurance plan you have, and they will present you with a database of in-network providers and facilities.
- Connect with AAC via our website chat or phone . It just requires a few pieces of information.