Does BCBS of Oklahoma Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you are seeking inpatient rehab for drug or alcohol addiction, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma offers coverage to help you kickstart your recovery journey. This insurance provider falls under the nationwide BCBS umbrella, which is accepted at numerous addiction treatment facilities.
Before entering rehab, it is best to know what BCBS Oklahoma can cover. You can check your coverage by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or asking your intended rehab center to check into it for you. You can also reach out to American Addiction Centers by calling, chatting online, or using the SSVOB form located on the website.
How To Find BCBS of Oklahoma Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in OK?
Every year, about 17,000 people with alcohol use disorders and 12,000 with illicit substance use disorders receive treatment in Oklahoma.1(pg. 16-17) Blue Cross Blue Shield of OK has helped many of those individuals. An important first step for them in getting help is having their insurance coverage verified. American Addiction Centers is happy to verify your insurance coverage for you. You can call to learn more about treatment options and to verify your insurance coverage. Doing it over the phone is simple and takes relatively little time.
Of course, you can also check your insurance coverage online. Simply go to the Insurance Verification form and put in the required information. AAC will instantly check your insurance coverage, and there is even a chance you can receive treatment at an AAC facility for a reduced rate. And, although it is not required, entering your policy membership identification can help speed up the verification process.
There are quite a few top-notch treatment centers in Oklahoma to choose from. Valley Hope, for example, is an exquisite mansion in Cushing that provides a tranquil but stately atmosphere for recovery. Valliant House, LLC in Valliant offers a 12-step program plus cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Also, The Oaks Rehabilitative Services Center in McAlester provides a clean, well-maintained facility run by compassionate counselors and staff.
What Is BCBS of Oklahoma?
BCBS of Oklahoma is the state’s sole statewide, customer-owned health insurance provider.2 They are a division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. They have over 700,000 members and focus on the mental and physical health issues impacting all Oklahomans. Their philosophy? Everyone in Oklahoma deserves access to affordable, high-quality healthcare as well as superb services from a company that isn’t engrossed in its shareholders.
There are currently 127 locations in Oklahoma that accept Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Oklahoma, many of which offer inpatient rehabilitation services. You can pick the one that works best for you and go from there.
How Much Does BCBS of Oklahoma Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma can cover some or all your addiction treatment, but that depends on which plan you have. Health insurance costs have multiple factors. If you have a government plan like Medicaid, your low- or no-cost health insurance plan might cover your entire stay.3
If you have the HMO plan, outpatient services have a $50-per-visit co-pay with in-network providers.4 (pg. 4) Any out-of-network provider is not covered. Some services will also require preauthorization. Inpatient services with in-network providers have a $250-per-day co-pay while, again, out-of-network services are not covered. The $250/day co-pay is for the first 3 days of each benefit period, and preauthorization is required.
If you have the Blue Preferred Bronze PPO 206, your coverage will be different. Outpatient services with an in-network provider have a 40% coinsurance (the percentage of costs of a covered health care service that you pay after your deductible), while out-of-network providers have a 50% coinsurance.5 (pg. 4) Preauthorization is a requirement. With inpatient services from an in-network provider, it is $400 per visit plus 50% coinsurance. With an out-of-network provider, it is $2,000 per visit plus 50% coinsurance. Again, you’ll need preauthorization, which can carry a penalty fee of $500.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma May Cover
Coverage for detox, rehab, and other types of addiction treatment will vary depending on your specific Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi insurance plan. Still, your insurance plan should provide at least some coverage for substance use, including alcohol, marijuana, or opioids.
BCBS of Mississippi may cover several types of addiction treatment, including:
- Medical detox: Medical detox can help you avoid significant side effects as your body rids the drugs in your system. Professionals can help you comfortably and safely manage your withdrawal symptoms and prepare for ongoing addiction treatment such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient treatment programs: Inpatient programs allow you to live at the facility 24/7 for several weeks or months. You’ll process emotions, learn new habits, and practice living life without substances. This can be a good option if you want around-the-clock care.
- Outpatient programs: If you need to attend to family, school, or work during treatment, you may benefit from an outpatient program. You can live at home and attend treatment several hours per week. Many times outpatient programs follow inpatient treatment as a step-down.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): For those who can live at home but need more intensive care than a traditional outpatient program, there are intensive outpatient programs. An IOP allows you to stay at home overnight while having several hours of treatment throughout the week.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): Partial hospitalization programs are a good option for those who need full-time care but can return home at night. You’ll attend treatment up to at least five days a week for several hours each day.
- Aftercare: Aftercare helps ensure that the changes you made in treatment last over the long term. This part of your program will give you the support you need to maintain your new habits and substance-free lifestyle.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma provide coverage for mental health facilities?
Of course, there are different levels and types of care facilities that BCBS of OK works with. A skilled nursing facility can provide inpatient services for substance abuse.6 (pg. 79) A psychiatric hospital and residential treatment center can also provide monitored care with 24/7 physician availability and nursing services on site.6 (pg. 78) Partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient services will require preauthorization from the plan at least 2 days before starting your program.6 (pg. 5) Costs for those services will vary based on your plan’s copayment and coinsurance amounts.
Co-occurring disorders can be treated in tandem – and should be. Recent reports illustrate that over 9.2 million Americans have a co-occurring disorder of substance use and any mental illness (AMI).7 (page 3, par. 2) In 2018, SAMHSA research found that substance use was more common among btoh adults and adolescents who had a mental health issue than those who did not. (page 3, par. 3) That same year, about 21.2 million people ages 12 and older (or about 1 in 13 people) required treatment for substance use disorders. (page 3, par. 6) About 65.7 percent of adolescents received treatment for co-occurring disorders while only 51.4 percent of adults obtained the same type of treatment.(page 4, par. 6-7)
These conditions need to be treated together, as integrated care has been shown to elicit the best long-term recovery responses from people.7 (par. 11) Integrating treatment can reduce negative symptoms of mental health conditions, get pharmacological therapy to address both disorders, strengthen support through group therapy, and reduce chances of relapse.7 (par. 12) Staff members at facilities that do dual diagnosis treatment have specialized qualifications and training in this type of treatment. Also, note that under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance providers are required to provide both physical and mental health care. Therefore, this mandate includes stand-alone heroin treatment and treatment for co-occurring disorders.
How Long Does BCBS of Oklahoma Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Remaining in your treatment program for an adequate amount of time is imperative for recovery success. In fact, research shows that a minimum of 3 months is optimal for drug and alcohol rehab.8 (under #5) Many treatment facilities offer 30-, 60-, or 90-day treatment programs for inpatient services. But is your stay beholden to your insurance coverage?
If you have the Bronze Plan through BCBS, your mental illness treatment and substance abuse rehab office visit carries a 40-50% coinsurance.9 (Table 1) On Blue Preferred Silver PPO 201, you get a 50% coinsurance while PPO 306 offers 40%. 10 (Table 1) The Blue Advantage Silver PPO program has similar rates. Blue Preferred Gold PPO 205 carries a 40% coinsurance while Blue Advantage Gold PPO 309 has 25% and 604 has a 30% coinsurance.11 (Table 1) No specific timelines are given on how long you can stay at rehab, but how long you stay will likely depend on how much you can afford out-of-pocket after your insurance coverage.
Since insurance coverage varies quite a bit, it is important to look up your plan through the information on the back of your card. Knowing what will be covered lets you know how much leftover you will need to pay and determines how long you can stay in an Oklahoma drug rehab.
What if my BCBS of Oklahoma policy does not cover an inpatient drug rehab program?
Depending on which rehab center you select, you might be able to get a scholarship or financial assistance. As a patient, you will likely be able to choose from different block grants, government grants, and full and partial scholarships. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offers a block grant called the Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant (SABG), which provides funding for substance abuse treatment to all 50 states as well as the U.S Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, 6 Pacific jurisdictions, and 1 tribal entity.12 (par. 1) This block grant specifically targets intravenous drug users among several populations and service areas. The goal is to provide information dissemination, education, alternative activities, problem identification and referral, a community-based process, and environmental services to influence the general population’s use of illicit substances.12 (“Primary Prevention Strategies” section)
Partial scholarships offer funding that will cover a specific portion of rehab center costs. Full scholarships cover the entire amount. Finding these scholarships is dependent upon each program you look at. You will want to find a program that offers grants and scholarships and will offer them to you. When you apply, it helps to tell them your financial situation and why you need help covering the cost of rehab. Many BCBS of Oklahoma rehabilitation centers offer this kind of assistance, but you need to apply to receive it.
Putting treatment off can lead to you never getting help. Think about the estimated 70,000 annual deaths from drug overdoses in the United States alone.13 (par. 1) How many of those people put off getting help? Getting the right treatment now can stop you from becoming another statistic. Finding the rehab center for you and calling the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma phone number to get your insurance sorted out is a huge step in the recovery process.
BCBS of Oklahoma In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Before you check into one of the residential treatment centers in Oklahoma, you need to know whether it is in- or out-of-network. An in-network BCBS of Oklahoma treatment center essentially means that BCBS partners with that center to help cover costs. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma drug treatment coverage for in-network providers will vary a little bit depending on which plan you have.
If you have an out-of-network provider in mind, BCBS of Oklahoma will not be able to provide a deductible or coinsurance to help cover your stay. Therefore, it is important to look up Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma drug treatment providers from the BCBS of OK website or by using the information on the back of your insurance card to learn more about your coverage.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.