Does BCBS of Rhode Island Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Rhode Island is a health insurance company that provides coverage for healthcare services for individuals living in Rhode Island. BCBS of Rhode Island provides access to affordable, high-quality health care to over 375,000 members throughout the state.1
If you are a BCBS of Rhode Island member seeking addiction treatment, at least some of the costs of rehab and other treatments will be covered by your insurance plan. Exactly how much is covered depends on the specific plan you have. To learn more about what your plan covers for addiction treatment, call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a BCBS of Rhode Island customer service agent.
Alternatively, you can contact us here at American Addiction Centers. Call us at to speak with an admissions navigator who can verify your insurance while you’re on the phone. If you prefer online correspondence, you can use the chat feature on our website to speak with someone or complete the two-step form below with your insurance and contact information. You’ll have an email in your inbox within minutes outlining information about your insurance coverage.
How To Find BCBS of Rhode Island Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in RI?
When searching for an inpatient drug treatment center, look for rehab centers that accept Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island whenever possible. In-network facilities have an agreement with BCBS of Rhode Island to provide addiction treatment at a discounted rate. This generally means lower out-of-pocket costs for you and a smoother process when it comes to insurance payments for the cost of treatment.
BCBS of Rhode Island has a search tool on its website to help members find inpatient drug treatment centers in the state. You can use their Find a Doctor tool or call the number on the back of your insurance card to talk with a customer service representative. The customer service representative will help you find an inpatient drug treatment center or let you know if the one you have in mind is in-network with BCBS of Rhode Island.
What Is BCBS of Rhode Island?
Founded in 1939, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island provides health insurance coverage for 375,000 people across the state.1 The company is a not-for-profit health insurance company and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.1 There are currently over 10,000 healthcare providers in Rhode Island that are in-network with BCBS of Rhode Island.1
Many people living in Rhode Island struggle with addiction to drugs and alcohol. Though it is a small state, Rhode Island has the fifth-highest rate of drug overdoses in the United States.2 Addiction is a disease, and recovery can save lives. BCBS of Rhode Island provides coverage for a wide range of services to meet the needs of their members with substance use disorder.3
How Much Does BCBS of Rhode Island Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
There are many types of addiction treatment, and the type you receive will depend on your specific needs, what substances you use, and how long you’ve been using. As a BCBS of Rhode Island member, at least some of your treatment costs will be covered by your health insurance plan. Treatments that may be covered by your health insurance provider include:3
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT). MAT treatment uses prescription medications to help a person go through withdrawals comfortably and safely, and you may continue to use these medications for as long as needed. MAT also includes counseling for individuals with substance use disorder.
- Inpatient/residential rehab: 24/7 care in a rehab facility is provided until you are sober and stable enough to return to the community. Inpatient rehab includes being cared for by trained staff, psychiatrists, counselors, doctors, and nurses. Individual, group, and family therapy are often a part of inpatient rehab.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): These intensive rehab programs provide a combination of group and individual therapy in a hospital setting, approximately five hours a day for five days/week. These programs are recommended for individuals who require more intensive care than outpatient rehab offers.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP): Involving a commitment of attending three days a week for three to four hours per day, these structured programs are ideal for those who need/want to continue their normal routines. Individual and group therapy is provided.
- Outpatient treatment: This treatment may take place in a rehab facility, hospital, or therapist’s office. It often involves counseling in group and individual settings. These programs typically involve attending treatment in the evenings, allowing you to work and take care of family obligations during the day.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
Yes, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island provides coverage for mental health treatment, both inpatient and outpatient care.3 In 2014, the Affordable Care Act was passed. The law mandates that mental health treatment must be covered by insurance companies in the same way physical health needs are covered.4 The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act mandates that mental health and addiction treatment coverage is provided for anyone who needs these services.5
This ensures that at least part of your treatment for substance use disorder and any other mental health conditions you have are covered by BCBS of Rhode Island. If you struggle with addiction and have another mental health condition, this is known as a co-occurring disorder or dual diagnosis.
Most rehab facilities throughout the country provide treatment for mental health conditions and substance use disorders at the same time. If you have a co-occurring or dual diagnosis, be sure to talk with admissions navigators at the facilities you are considering to see if they provide care for those conditions.
BCBS of Rhode Island will cover some of your treatment costs, but the amount covered depends on the plan you have.
How Long Does BCBS of Rhode Island Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The duration of your stay in rehab programs and the amount of care covered by your health insurance depends on the specific plan you have. All plans will at least partially cover the costs. However, the length of time that coverage is provided and how much you must pay out of pocket can vary. It depends on your insurance plan, how long you’ve been using drugs or alcohol, and the level of care you need.
Research shows that patients who stay in treatment for three months or longer have the best outcomes for long-term recovery.6, bullet 5 If you can, try to stay in treatment for the recommended time for your best chance at long-term success.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to better understand your insurance plan and what is covered. Ask what treatments are covered, and learn more about your deductibles, co-pays, and out-of-pocket expenses for the treatments you are seeking.
Or, call us at American Addiction Centers at to speak with an admissions navigator, who can verify your insurance for you and discuss how to begin the admissions process.
What If My BCBS of Rhode Island Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
As a BCBS of Rhode Island member, your inpatient drug rehab program will at least be partially covered by your insurance plan. What percentage of treatments are covered, and for how long, is contingent upon your plan and your health-care needs.
BCBS of Rhode Island does not require members to get a referral for outpatient care, but you may be required to get a referral (pre-authorization form) completed for coverage to kick in for inpatient treatment. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn the specifics about what is required. Some questions to consider asking:
- Can you tell me what rehab facilities are in BCBS of Rhode Island’s network?
- What do I need to do to access addiction treatment? Is pre-authorization required for insurance coverage?
- How much is my deductible?
- What are my co-pays for medications?
- What are my co-pays for counseling (if any)?
- What percentage of inpatient rehab is covered by BCBS of RI?
Even with an excellent insurance plan, you may still have some out-of-pocket expenses for rehab, such as meeting your deductible or paying for co-pays. If you need help paying for treatment, here are some suggestions:
- Bank loans. Many banks and credit unions offer loans to individuals who need help paying for healthcare costs.
- Payment plans: Most inpatient treatment facilities offer payment plans that allow you to pay back your out-of-pocket costs over time.
- Scholarships and grants. Some states offer scholarships and grants to those who need help paying for treatment and meet low-income thresholds.
- Crowdfunding/fundraising. Asking for help can be difficult but worth it. Ask your friends and family for support to help cover the costs of treatment.
BCBS of Rhode Island In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
In your search for an inpatient rehab drug center, you’ve probably encountered a lot of “in-network” and “out-of-network” wording. Let’s break it down:
In-network: These rehab facilities have an agreement with BCBS of Rhode Island to provide addiction treatment at a discounted rate to anyone who seeks treatment at this facility. Choosing an in-network rehab center generally means fewer out-of-pocket expenses for you and an easier time getting insurance coverage for the treatments you receive.
Out-of-network: These rehab centers do not have an agreement with BCBS of Rhode Island, which usually means that you will need to pay a higher cost for treatments. In some cases, BCBS of Rhode Island may provide some coverage for out-of-network services, but it isn’t guaranteed. You will likely have more out-of-pocket expenses and may also be required to complete more paperwork for insurance coverage to kick in.
Fortunately, there are some top-tier rehab facilities in Rhode Island that are in-network with BCBS of Rhode Island. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to inquire about which facilities are in-network, or call us at for a list of facilities near you that accept BCBS of RI.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.