BCBS of South Carolina for Addiction Treatment
Addiction can be a scary thing to overcome, and if you or a loved one are struggling, you probably know that all too well. Recovery isn’t always linear, and South Carolina addiction treatment often comes at a cost. Drug rehab in South Carolina is a necessary service, but it can be expensive if you don’t have insurance. Fortunately, if you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina (BCBS of SC) health plan, you may be able to have all or part of your recovery costs covered by your insurance. Learn more about how to use your BCBS of SC plan for drug and alcohol rehab below.
Does BCBS of South Carolina Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Your BCBS of SC health insurance plan probably provides a variety of health benefits, like preventive care (e.g., checkups), at little to no cost to you. But, did you know that your plan may also provide some level of coverage for behavioral and mental health services? Most health insurance plans in the United States must provide coverage in some capacity for such services, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab center treatment.1 That being said, there is not a standard coverage requirement, which means that you should always verify your benefits and coverage before seeking care, except in emergencies, to avoid surprise out-of-pocket medical bills.
To check your BCBS of SC coverage details, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak to a plan representative. This representative should be able to walk you through your plan’s details, explain your levels of coverage, and find South Carolina substance abuse treatment centers near you that may take your plan. Another option for verifying your benefits and coverage involves calling your desired rehab center and asking them to help you verify your benefits. Any American Addiction Centers (AAC) affiliated treatment facility will be able to walk you through this process. Finally, you can also enter your information at the bottom of this page to instantly verify your benefits and coverage.
How to Find BCBS of South Carolina Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in SC?
Finding a quality, in-network rehab center in South Carolina may seem like a daunting task. If you don’t know where to start, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Click here to access Project Know’s treatment facility locator. This locator will help you find high-quality AAC facilities around the country, including ones near you in South Carolina. After you’ve found a facility or two that you’d like to seek treatment at, you must call them or a helpline to verify that they will take your BCBS of SC insurance plan. All AAC facilities will have a helpline that you can call and speak to a real person and walk through your insurance coverages.
Because BCBS is a nationwide insurance company, thousands of people likely receive rehab services through their BCBS plan each year. Unfortunately, there’s not a definite number available. With that being said, you should know that it’s incredibly common to use health insurance to cover such costs, and you shouldn’t be ashamed for asking whether your insurance will cover treatment.
What Is BCBS of South Carolina?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina is the only South Carolina owned and operated carrier and has been providing health insurance plans to the state’s residents for over 70 years.2 What’s more, for the 19th year in a row, BCBS of SC received the AM Best rating of A+ (Superior), which demonstrates the company’s financial stability, and only a few companies in the country receive such an award.2
BCBS of SC offers a handful of different types of health insurance solutions, which means that you may be able to find a plan that works for you. The company is the only insurer in South Carolina to offer a health insurance solution in every consumer market, including individual and family plans, group health insurance (both large and small businesses), Medicare plans, as well as Medicaid plans.3 (Now, More Than 70 Years Later…)
While the exact number of covered rehab centers that are in-network in South Carolina isn’t available, it’s important to note that BCBS of SC’s Preferred Blue network is the state’s largest network of providers, with more than 10,000 state physicians covered.3 Moreover, every South Carolina hospital is considered an in-network provider under the plan, which means that it’s likely that many rehab centers near you in South Carolina may also be considered in-network providers under your BCBS of SC plan.4
Specifically, BCBS of SC recognizes 14 treatment facilities in the state as “Blue Distinction Centers for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery.”5 This designation means that the providers at such facilities are known for providing high-quality care and having good health outcomes.
How Much Does BCBS of South Carolina Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
The extent to which your BCBS of SC plan will cover addiction treatment services will vary upon the plan you have and where you seek treatment. Please note that your situation is unique, as is your health plan, and no two individuals on the path to recovery will have the same experience.
Despite these potential differences, there may be a few types of treatment your provider may suggest. Here’s a list of the most common addiction treatment types:
- Inpatient/residential rehab: These two treatment types are arguably the most well-known addiction treatment methods. A patient typically stays at a facility for some time and receives 24/7 support and care. Inpatient treatment is typically a few days or weeks, while residential care is longer-term care, often a few months.6
- Outpatient rehab/therapy: This is another type of treatment that is well-known. This type of care typically involves a patient visiting a treatment center for appointments, which is usually some form of therapy, but they are allowed to return home after the session.6
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): This treatment type also combines inpatient and outpatient elements, but is more like outpatient programs than inpatient programs. A patient would receive more care than an outpatient therapy appointment once or twice a week, but less care than a PHP or inpatient facility.7
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs): This type of treatment often combines aspects of both inpatient and outpatient care. In most cases, a patient would visit the hospital for certain hours of the day, multiple days a week to receive care, but they’re allowed to return home.8 (“What is it)
Remember, the treatment methods listed above are just some of the most common. Your provider will know the best course of treatment for your unique journey, and the methods listed above may or may not be covered fully or partially by your insurance plan. Please talk to a representative for more information.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina provide Coverage for Mental Health Facilities?
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the vast majority of health plans in the United States must provide some level of coverage for a handful of essential health benefits (EHB).1 Of the 10 listed EHBs, mental and behavioral health services are considered to be one.1 This means that all health plans must provide some level of coverage for such services.1
Specifically, plans must cover the following services in some capacity:1
- Substance use disorder treatment
- Behavioral health treatment
- Inpatient mental and behavioral health disorder care
The ACA’s mandated coverage is essential for helping those who need care obtain it at an affordable cost. Moreover, it ensures that those who may have a mental/behavioral health disorder, a substance abuse disorder, or both (also known as a co-occurring disorder) get the care they need. Experts agree that those with a co-occurring disorder must receive treatment for both substance use and mental/behavioral disorder to ensure recovery.1
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Under the ACA, BCBS of SC plans must cover addiction treatment therapies in some capacity. What exactly your BCBS of SC plan covers, and the extent to which it is covered, will depend on the plan you’ve selected and where you seek treatment. Contact your plan representative or rehab center of choice to learn more about your specific coverage.
How Long Does BCBS of South Carolina Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
How long your BCBS of SC plan covers South Carolina alcohol and drug rehab programs will be largely dependent on the plan you have and the facility at which you seek rehab care. BCBS of SC provides a wide variety of plan designs and types, which creates a variance in coverage details. Your coverage may also be subject to various cost-sharing requirements, which include deductibles, copays, and coinsurance.
Regardless of what your insurance plan dictates as the covered treatment times, it’s important to work closely with your provider, as they are the ones who will be able to suggest the best course and length of treatment for your recovery. Despite each person’s differences, it’s commonly accepted that longer treatment times of at least three months are the most beneficial for lasting recovery.9
It’s best practice to review your benefits and coverage with a BCBS of SC representative or a treatment center advisor to ensure you’re properly covered on your path to recovery, and to avoid surprise medical bills.
BCBS of South Carolina In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
A huge factor in determining coverage levels and amounts depends upon your insurance network, which refers to the providers and facilities that your health insurer is contracted with to provide health services.10 In the vast majority of cases, using an in-network provider will result in lower health care costs for you. An out-of-network provider is not under contract with your plan, which usually results in higher out-of-pocket costs for you.11
You can call the number on the back of your insurance card or log in to your member portal to view whether a facility may be in- or out-of-network. Or, you can work with the facility itself to see whether it’s considered an in-network provider under your BCBS of SC plan.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida just outside of Tampa, River Oaks Treatment Center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of individualized care to each person who attends a treatment program at the facility.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are local rehab near you that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify BCBS of South Carolina Insurance Coverage of Rehab Centers?
Finding a quality rehab center that accepts your BCBS of SC insurance coverage can be difficult. AAC is a national company that works with a variety of insurers, including BCBS. This means that your plan may be accepted at your nearest AAC facility. You can always call the AAC helpline to speak to a staff member who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone, use the chat function on our website, or fill out the benefits verification form at the bottom of this page to verify your benefits and coverage.
You can also use Project Know’s treatment facility locator, which will help you find AAC treatment centers near you so that you can get top-notch quality treatment on your road to recovery.