Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Cover Alcohol Rehab?
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is one of the largest healthcare providers across the United States. It’s available to members living in the State of New Jersey under the name Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. Depending on the specifics of their insurance plan, BCBS of New Jersey provides members with full or partial coverage for alcohol and drug rehab, including detox, treatment at inpatient drug rehab centers, and outpatient programs.1
What Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance Cover for Alcohol Treatment?
BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) provides insurance coverage for alcohol rehab. The exact scope, intensity, and duration of addiction treatment will depend on a patient’s particular condition and situation. Your plan may cover all or some of the treatment services you need, including:2
- Alcohol use screening and assessment: Your insurance may cover the cost of a clinical evaluation as part of the intake process at your rehab facility. The goal of this process is to reach an accurate diagnosis and establish an effective, personalized treatment plan.3
- Detoxification: Patients wean off alcohol in a safe, comfortable, and controlled environment of a rehab center. The aim is to minimize the unpleasant withdrawal symptoms and stabilize the patient’s condition.3
- Inpatient stays at a rehab facility: Patients who require a high-intensity treatment option can stay at the rehab center 24/7. This way, they can receive consistent care and assistance from trained and supportive staff. The services typically include a combination of medication and behavioral therapies.3
- Outpatient services: During outpatient treatment, patients continue residing at home and attend therapy at the center several times a week. These programs can be more or less time-intensive, depending on the patient’s needs.3
- Behavioral therapy: Most treatment programs include some type of behavioral therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, the Matrix Model, motivational enhancement, and 12-step programs. They aim to identify triggers and develop coping mechanisms against the urge to use alcohol or drugs.4
- Tailored dual diagnosis treatment: As a member of BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon), you can enter an alcohol rehab that offers assessment and treatment for both addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.3
What BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Does Not Cover for Alcohol Treatment?
While BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) does provide coverage for addiction treatment, there are some restrictions to consider. The services have to be medically justified to be covered under your insurance plan. Also, some services will likely not be included in your package:2
- Holistic care
- Food orders
- Alternative treatment
- Non-medical services
- Recreational activities
- Private therapy
How Much Does Alcohol Rehab Cost?
BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) will likely cover at least a portion of the cost of your alcohol rehab or drug treatment. However, there are multiple factors that have an impact on the cost of these programs, including:2
- The type of treatment you need: Because they provide round-the-clock monitoring, inpatient drug rehab centers typically charge more than those providing outpatient services.
- The intensity of treatment: High-intensity services, such as intensive outpatient treatment, usually cost more than those of a lower intensity, such as standard outpatient treatment.
- The duration of the program: Based on a thorough assessment of their condition, patients may require different lengths of treatment, and this also affects the price of the program.
- The amenities that the center is equipped with: Luxury rehab facilities, which give you access to amenities like a swimming pool or fitness center, generally have higher prices.
What Is the Cost of Inpatient Alcohol Rehab?
The cost of attending an inpatient program for substance abuse treatment differs based on the specifics of each patient’s case. Generally, it may cost between $500 and $600 per day and Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon) will likely cover the fee charged by your inpatient rehab center at least in part.1 It’s best to check your benefits and determine how much of the cost could be covered by contacting your insurance provider or preferred treatment center.
What Is the Cost of Outpatient Alcohol Rehab?
Outpatient care is recommended to individuals who don’t require residential treatment. The exact cost of such services depends on its intensity and duration, which are determined based on the patient’s condition.3 Outpatient services may often cost between $250 and $350 a day and BCBS of New Jersey is one of the drug treatment insurance providers that may cover these expenses.1
What Is the Cost of Alcohol Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)?
Partial hospitalization is a high-intensity outpatient program that provides patients with support for several hours every day. It can cost $350 to $450 per day, depending on the patient’s needs, and can be fully or partially covered by your BCBS of New Jersey insurance coverage.1 To check how much of your addiction rehabilitation your insurance will cover, you can contact them directly.
What Is the Cost of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)?
Medication-assisted treatment is a type of care where the patient receives a combination of pharmacotherapies and behavioral therapy. It’s most commonly used to treat opioid addiction.5
The expenses associated with MAT vary based on the patient’s individual needs and the extent of your insurance coverage depends on your policy. It’s best to contact BCBS of New Jersey or your preferred substance abuse treatment facility to check if your insurance will cover the costs.
What Is the Cost of Alcohol Rehab vs. the Cost of Alcohol Addiction?
While treatment does come at a cost, the price people pay by continuing to use alcohol and drugs is much higher. Misusing alcohol puts your physical and mental health at risk. It can also have a deeply detrimental impact on your family, social life, and career.6
In addition, alcohol abuse takes a huge toll on the society as a whole. It costs the nation $27 billion a year because of lower work productivity, higher crime rates, and associated medical fees.7
The cost of alcohol addiction treatment doesn’t have to discourage you from seeking help for your substance use disorder. Members of BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) can count on partial or full substance abuse coverage.1 Even if you don’t have insurance and you can’t fund it out of pocket, there are multiple helpful payment options that can enable you to enter treatment.
What Length of Alcohol Rehab Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Cover?
The length of treatment has a significant impact on the patient’s outcomes. Longer treatment programs have been shown to provide greater effectiveness. In general, most patients require at least 3 months to establish lasting sobriety.8 BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) may cover some or all of the time a person spends in substance abuse treatment.This depends on the specifics of your plan.1
Should I Choose BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Inpatient or Outpatient Alcohol Rehab Centers?
Members of BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) may find that inpatient drug rehab centers are more suitable for them if they need:3
- High-intensity treatment: Inpatient rehab provides individuals with tailored intensive treatment services, including medication, behavioral therapy, support groups, and aftercare planning.
- Controlled environment: Patients are in a safe and pleasant setting of a treatment facility under the supervision of trained treatment professionals 24/7. Medical and psychological support is available throughout their stay, whenever they require it.
- Participation in support groups: A patient in a residential treatment center is surrounded by other people who share similar experiences and struggles. They take part in support groups where they can encourage each other.
- Sharper focus: The residential setting of an inpatient treatment facility offers patients the chance to distance themselves from triggers and concentrate solely on their recovery.
You can find out whether inpatient or outpatient treatment is more advisable in your situation by undergoing a comprehensive assessment for addiction and co-occurring conditions.
How to Use BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance for Alcohol Rehab?
There are several steps to take before you enter one of the BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) drug treatment programs:2
- Consult a medical professional: You can talk to your therapist or primary care physician about your struggles with substance abuse. They’ll recommend the next step. Sometimes, if the patient’s condition is unstable, they may be admitted to a rehab facility on the very same day and given urgent medical attention.
- Find a suitable rehab facility: Research BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) drug rehab centers nationwide to find one that meets your demands. Some people prefer undergoing treatment locally so that they’re still close to their support network.
- Verify your insurance: Call your prospective rehab center’s hotline to see if your insurance plan covers your treatment. Even if you don’t have adequate coverage or funds to cover private pay rehab, there may be other helpful financing options available.
How to Find Alcohol Rehabs That Accept BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance?
American Addiction Centers works with most insurance carriers, including Blue Cross Blue Shield. This trusted provider has a rapid and effective insurance verification system in place. Call their helpline to talk to a friendly admissions navigator who can check your benefits during the phone call. You can rest assured that your confidential information is safe.
As a member of BCBS New Jersey (Horizon), you have AAC’s leading rehab facility in New Jersey, Sunrise House Treatment Center at your disposal for evidence-based, top-quality programs. This luxury facility is equipped with modern amenities and staffed with experienced professionals to ensure comfort and positive clinical outcomes.