Does Oxford Health Plans Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
Oxford Health Plans is part of the UnitedHealthcare Company. It’s available in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. About 1.6 million members have Oxford Health coverage. About 73,000 medical doctors and 104,000 hospitals are in its networks.1
Individuals, families, and employers alike can have Oxford Health insurance. They can select between the Liberty Plan and Freedom Plan, which are both Point of Service (POS) plans. There are also group insurance plans offered by third-party administrators as well as Health Maintenance Organization plans.1
Oxford Health insurance also provides coverage for addiction treatment and behavioral health. If you or a loved one are struggling with substance use disorder (SUD), your plan can cover some or all of the expenses associated with your drug rehab.1
What Is Oxford Health Plans Insurance?
Oxford Health Plans was established in 1984 and it merged with UnitedHealthcare in 2004. It has about 3,200 employees and it works with 73,000 physicians in 104,000 locations. It has made the list of “World’s Most Admired Companies” put together by Fortune magazine. Also, their Connecticut Health Maintenance Organization plans and Point of Service plans have a customer satisfaction rating of 4.5/5.1
How to Check Oxford Health Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment?
If you want to check how much of your treatment expenses will be covered, you can call the Oxford Health helpline and discuss it with their team. You can reach your insurance carrier by dialing the number on the back of your insurance card.1
Apart from contacting the provider directly, you can also talk to one of the Oxford Health rehab centers to verify your benefits. Another option provided by the American Addiction Centers is to enter your information in the form below and see if you’re in our network.
What Are the Different Oxford Health Plans?
Oxford Health insurance coverage is at members’ disposal in New Jersey, Connecticut, and New York.1 There are several plans that you can choose from:2
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) gives members access to in-network physicians.
- Freedom Plan PPO provides in and out-of-network coverage and doesn’t require a referral by a primary care physician for specialist care.
- Point of Service (POS) plans combine aspects of HMO and PPO plans.
- Oxford EPO is a plan designed for employees in the Oxford Freedom Network.
- Oxford PPO HSA offers coverage in and out-of-network, doesn’t require a PCP referral for specialist care, and it includes a Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Oxford EPO HSA is a plan for members within the Oxford Freedom Network and it’s paired with a Health Savings Account (HSA).
What Will Oxford Health Plans Insurance Cover?
With Oxford Health insurance benefits, you could receive coverage for different types of drug rehab:1
- Drug detox treatment: These programs facilitate the withdrawal stage of recovery. Patients receive medication and counseling to help them get the substance out of their system safely. In some situations, these programs can last for as short as 3, 5, or 7 days or they can go on for longer.
- Inpatient treatment: Patients receive 24/7 supervision and medical attention from the staff at the facility. They’re able to fully commit to their recovery in a controlled, drug-free environment. The treatment can be carried out in a comfortable setting of a luxury facility, sometimes in a scenic location in the mountains, suitable for healing and introspection.
- Partial hospitalization: This type of treatment requires the patient to visit the facility every day, for the larger portion of the day. However, they don’t stay overnight, so it’s less intensive than inpatient treatment.
- Outpatient treatment: Patients visit their rehab center several times a week to attend therapy sessions, take part in support groups, and receive medication.
- Intensive outpatient services: This is a step-up compared to standard outpatient treatment since it’s more time-intensive.
- Aftercare plans: These programs are designed to maintain sobriety and help the patients as they go back to their routines.
Your treatment plan will be determined after you undergo a detailed intake procedure, including an expert assessment of your medical and mental health needs.1
Does Oxford Health Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Facilities?
SUDs may co-occur with mental health issues, like depression or anxiety. These disorders have similar risk factors, like genetics, stress, and trauma. Also, many people struggling with mental health disorders use drugs and alcohol to cope with their symptoms. However, this only gives them temporary relief and substance abuse can ultimately contribute to the worsening of their symptoms.3
It’s preferable to treat addiction and co-occurring disorders simultaneously. The treatment may consist of a combination of medication and behavioral therapy. The treatment plan has to be based on a thorough dual diagnosis.3
Oxford Health offers support for your mental health, including substance abuse treatment coverage. Other behavioral health services your plan may cover include treatment for depression, anxiety, stress-related issues, anger management, eating disorders, and other conditions.4
How Long Does Oxford Health Plans Insurance Cover Rehab?
Treatment length is determined based on each patient’s specific condition, such as the duration and severity of their addiction. Some patients may stay in inpatient care for about a month, others may transition to a lower-intensity level of care after 60 days, and some participate in programs that span 90 days or longer. Longer treatment durations are generally more effective when it comes to achieving lasting sobriety. However, Oxford health insurance provides different levels of coverage and it may only cover a limited amount of time spent in treatment.5
The length of coverage varies depending on the details of your Oxford Health plan. You can check your coverage duration by calling your insurance carrier and inquiring directly. Their phone number is available on the back of your insurance card.1
Another way to find out how long you’ll be covered is to find a potentially suitable rehab center and contact them. Then you can also discover the available payment options in case your treatment is only covered partially.
What if My Oxford Health Plans Policy Does Not Cover Rehab?
Under the Affordable Care Act, all health insurance plans have to provide some type of coverage for mental health disorders, including SUDs. This means that your Oxford Health insurance benefits will cover substance abuse treatment programs at in-network rehab centers at least partially. However, the scope of coverage will depend on your plan and you may need to pay a portion of the cost out-of-pocket.6
What Is the Difference Between In-Network & Out-of-Network Oxford Health Rehab Centers?
You can have your insurance cover the cost of treatment if you receive it at one of the centers from the Oxford Health mental health provider list. If you aren’t sure if your preferred treatment facility is in the Oxford Health network, you can check this by calling their helpline and having a confidential conversation with their team. Some Oxford Health plans, like Freedom Plan PPO and Oxford PPO HSA, also offer out-of-network coverage.2