Will Premera BCBS Insurance Cover the Costs of Alcohol Rehab?
Approximately 86% of adults in the U.S. reported drinking alcohol at least once, and up to 26% participate in binge drinking or heavy alcohol use. In 2019 alone, about 14.5 million people were estimated to have alcohol use disorder (AUD). A big problem with AUD is that social drinking is considered acceptable behavior.1
Despite AUD being a huge issue in the U.S., only 2% of people in need of treatment actually decide to get it. This is not only due to the stigma that surrounds addiction, but also due to some individuals not having the funds to pay for treatment. Those who go to treatment usually pay for it with the help of insurance.2
Struggling individuals ofter use private insurance such as Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to get help for AUD. As health insurance companies have to provide the same level of coverage for substance abuse as for any other medical emergency, Premera BCBS is likely to cover the costs of mental health and AUD treatment.3,4
What Is Premera BCBS Insurance?
Premera BCBS is a member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield group, and it’s the largest healthcare plan in the Pacific Northwest. It provides healthcare plans to residents of Washington and Alaska, including treatment for mental health and substance use disorders (SUD).4
Premera offers plans to both individuals and employees of Fortune 100 companies, and they have more than 2 million members. With this insurance company, you’ll be in touch with thousands of hospitals, healthcare providers, and doctors.4
Does Premera BCBS Insurance Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
Depending on the policy you have, you’ll probably be able to use Premera BCBS insurance for your substance abuse treatment coverage. In general professional treatment for alcohol addiction requires tailoring individualized plans and programs that can fit the needs of every patient.4,5
Nonetheless, in-network Premera BCBS rehab centers might provide you with some common treatment elements:6
- Assessment to determine the severity of your AUD.
- Assessment to determine the presence of any co-existing disorders.
- Carefully conducted dual diagnosis for co-occurring disorders.
- Monitored inpatient substance use rehabilitation treatment.
- Residential treatment for individuals who need long-term care.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs).
- Outpatient treatment and intensive outpatient programs (IOP).
Does Premera BCBS Cover Addiction Treatment in Entirety?
Any type of insurance used for addiction rehabilitation will cover only the costs of treatment that is medically necessary. Additionally, treatment methods have to be approved by the FDA and other relevant authorities.6
Many luxe amenities and additional services, such as professional treatment support for couples with AUD, aren’t likely to be covered. Also, your insurance might not cover the additional costs associated with possible same-day admittance. Alternative therapies, non-medical amenities, and private services also won’t be covered. This means that you’ll have to private-pay for some aspects of treatment, such as food delivery, recreation programs, alternative medication, or holistic care.6
What Is the Cost of Alcohol Treatment?
It can be challenging to determine the cost of alcohol treatment in advance, at least before the assessment or the intake process of your preferred rehab facility. The price will depend on many factors, such as:3,7
- Services offered.
- The intensity of services.
- Duration of treatment.
These factors will not just affect the cost of treatment, but they might also influence your decision on the financing option that fits your budget.
What Is the Cost of Inpatient Alcohol Rehab?
Inpatient alcohol rehab is done either in a hospital or in a hospital-like unit that provides patients with 24-hour supervision. Nationwide facilities covered by Premera BCBS insurance might also provide detox treatment to help manage the symptoms of withdrawal. During treatment, patients will work with a physician, nurses, counselors, and social workers to overcome their addiction.6
This type of treatment can become rather expensive due to the high intensity of care. Fortunately, Premera BCBS might help you cover the cost of inpatient rehab. Check the details of your healthcare plan to know whether you’re covered.
What Is the Cost of Outpatient Alcohol Rehab?
Outpatient treatment isn’t as intensive as inpatient and patients spend most of their time at home. It usually involves a few days of treatment and counseling, typically 3 to 5 days a week. Therapy sessions are usually done by counselors and you can go alone or participate in group sessions.6
This type of treatment is usually more affordable compared to intensive inpatient treatment or even PHPs. Considering that Premera BCBS might help cover these costs, this can be a suitable option for many as long as it’s advised by a medical professional.
What Is the Cost of Alcohol Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHPs)?
PHPs are a type of outpatient treatment program that considers up to 8 hours of therapy a day. They are usually for patients that need to switch from inpatient to outpatient programs, and they include working with a counselor, social worker, and physician.6
As PHPs are in between outpatient and inpatient programs, they usually cost more than outpatient programs but less than inpatient ones.
What Is the Cost of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)?
All forms of AUD treatment can be combined with FDA-approved medications. These medications are mostly used to ease withdrawal symptoms, but some might even decrease alcohol cravings. The exact medications prescribed and the frequency of use will depend on many relevant factors unique to each individual.8
As MAT can be a part of a more comprehensive treatment plan, its cost can be challenging to determine. Some Premera BCBS healthcare plans might cover the cost of treatment. This is something you should check with your provider.6
How Do Alcohol Rehab Expenses Compare to Alcohol Addiction Costs?
While AUD treatment can be costly for some struggling individuals, the consequences of not undergoing treatment can end up being much more expensive. This is because:9
- A person struggling with alcohol abuse might experience a loss of workplace productivity. This can lead to financial losses and cost them their jobs.
- Struggling individuals might also experience legal issues, such as DUI charges, due to their drinking habits.
- Alcohol abuse can cause many additional health problems, so medical bills may further increase.
- Excessive and binge drinking can also cause brain damage that can be progressive. As such, it can require longer and more comprehensive treatment that can cost even more than initially expected.10
What Length of Alcohol Rehab Does Premera BCBS Insurance Cover?
While there isn’t a universal treatment length that works for everyone, there are indications that longer treatment durations provide better outcomes, whether we’re talking about outpatient or inpatient treatment.11
At least 3 months of treatment at specialized facilities may be needed to ensure long-lasting sobriety. Of course, when it comes to alcohol abuse, any length of treatment is better than no treatment at all, but you might want to consider longer treatment options.11
Premera BCBS provides extensive in-network and out-of-network coverage that can include various lengths of treatment. To see whether your treatment will be covered entirely, you might want to call your insurance provider. You can find a contact number on the back of uour insurance card.
Choosing Between Nationwide Premera BCBS-Covered Inpatient & Outpatient Programs
Going to any type of treatment is better than not going to rehab at all. However, if you’re given the choice between inpatient and outpatient programs covered by Premera BCBS insurance, there are a few reasons why you might want to go inpatient:11
- Inpatient rehabs offer higher-quality treatment programs.
- When you go inpatient, you’ll find yourself in a professional, supportive environment.
- Medical professionals and therapists provide ongoing care and supervision.
- Inpatient treatment centers build large support systems as they connect people with similar experiences.
- As inpatient rehabs offer accommodation, individuals spend time in a setting free of triggers 24/7.
- Such an environment teaches patients that they are accountable for their own actions and their own SUD. This might increase their desire to stay sober.
Of course, outpatient treatment has certain benefits. For example, it will allow a person to stay in a familiar environment they might feel much safer in. However, a medical professional should be the one to determine the proper type of treatment for everyone’s specific situation.11
Using Premera BCBS Insurance for Rehab
To get treatment coverage from Premera BCBS insurance, the treatment needs to be considered a medical necessity. To prove this, you’ll need a referral from a medical professional. As such, your first step is usually getting a referral.12
In general, to get a referral, you’ll need to consult with your doctor or some other medical professional. Some insurance providers might even allow you to apply for a referral by phone. However, the only way to get specific information about all the possible options is to call a local alcohol abuse hotline offering help or your insurance provider to see what regulations apply.12
Then, they’ll help you find a suitable addiction treatment program. A dispatcher from Premera BCBS will help you determine whether your healthcare plan covers the costs of rehab, both locally and nationwide. You can also work with the rehab center to determine the exact coverage, or check other payment options that might be available to you.12
How to Find Nationwide Alcohol Rehabs Covered by Premera BCBS
Whether you’re looking to get help for yourself or your loved one, there are a few steps you can take to find rehabilitation centers that are covered by Premera BCBS insurance.
Your first option is to call Premera BCBS and ask them about local rehab facilities that accept the provider’s coverage. You might also call the Blue Cross Blue Shield’s Blue Distinction Center for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery, as they will help you find in-network facilities as quickly as possible.13
Your next option is to call one of local alcohol and drug hotlines in your area, share as much information as possible, and see what you should do next. Calls are usually free and completely confidential.14
Lastly, you might want to get in touch with American Addiction Centers (AAC), one of the leaders in addiction treatment. This will give you the opportunity to communicate with a trained dispatche. They will be able to point you in the direction of the nearest facility in-network with Premera BCBS, while also verifying your insurance coverage promptly.
AAC has renowned treatment centers nationwide that accept Premera BCBS coverage, and you might find some in your area. For example, if you are eligible for Premera BCBS drug rehab coverage and you happen to live in Southern California, or if you’re ready to travel for treatment, you might want to consider the accredited and recognized Laguna Treatment Hospital. For more information, you can call a confidential alcohol and drug hotline and discuss your options with AAC’s professionals.
What Alcohol Rehab Centers Take Premera BCBS Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.