United Healthcare Substance Abuse Treatment Coverage
With coverage at more than 6,000 hospitals and other medical facilities, United Healthcare (UHC) is a leader in medical insurance.1 United Healthcare plans include services for people with a range of medical and mental health needs, including drug and alcohol addiction. You can find United Healthcare insurance plans in 25 states plus the District of Columbia.2 The various types of healthcare solutions UHC provides include:3
- Individual and family plans—comprehensive health plans that cover you from birth to adulthood.
- Medicare—available for adults 65 years and over or those who have a qualifying disability.
- Small business—affordable health care for employees of small businesses.
- Medicaid —a plan for low-income participants.
- Short-term insurance—a temporary plan.
If you’re unsure about whether you can get UHC substance abuse treatment coverage, you can simply contact the rehab addiction facility. The rehab will verify your insurance for you and give you the answers you need. Or you could call the number listed on the back of your insurance card.
Whichever method you choose to find out about UHC drug addiction coverage, it’s crucial to take action right away in seeking treatment.
Does United Healthcare Insurance Cover Rehab Treatment?
Drug and alcohol rehab treatment are generally covered under UnitedHealth Group and UnitedHealthcare plans. If you’re thinking about taking the first step to enter a substance abuse rehab program, you’re probably wondering what United Healthcare will cover. From detox to therapy, an array of services are necessary when going through rehab. UHC plans will cover substance abuse and addiction as well as mental health disorders. 4
Each United Healthcare substance abuse plan differs in the specifics of covered services, the deductible, and the co-pay. Log in to your health plan account to find out what is covered and how much out-of-pocket costs you may have.
What Different Types of Addiction Treatment Does United Healthcare Cover?
Everyone’s needs vary based on their level of addiction. Before you can find out just what UHC insurance will cover, you’ll need to know what kind of treatment you’ll be receiving. You may require more extensive services than someone else. You can discuss treatment options with an intake therapist. Some of the treatment plans used at drug addiction rehab centers include:
- Inpatient/residential rehab.
- Outpatient rehab/therapy.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs).
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs).
Does United Healthcare Cover Inpatient Mental Health Treatment?
Mental health care is often necessary in tandem with substance abuse treatment. Approximately half of the people who struggle with substance use also have mental health disorders (known as dual diagnosis disorders).5
In 2019, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) reported that 9.5 million people had both an addiction issue and mental health disorder.6 Although people with mental illness can abuse any substance, studies have shown certain correlations. The National Institute on Drug Abuse found that people with severe mental illness were: 7
- 4 times more likely to be heavy alcohol users.
- 5 times more likely to be regular marijuana users.
- 6 times more likely to use other drugs.
Consequently, NAMI recommends an integrated treatment approach for the best results. 6 This requires working with a rehab that offers dual diagnosis treatment.
Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance providers are required to offer coverage for mental health disorders, including substance addiction. 8 Both co-occurring disorder treatment and stand-alone drug rehab fall under the Affordable Care Act mandate.
Does United Healthcare cover long term care for drug addiction?
Drug addiction treatment must be taken seriously if you want to avoid a relapse. The length of time you stay in rehab is essential to your recovery. While every patient’s needs will differ according to the drug they use and how long they’ve been using it, we do know that the longer you stay connected with a rehab facility, the better off you’ll be. In fact, the National Institute on Drug Abuse states that treatment should be at least 90 days—and preferably more. 9
There are many different types of policies, tiers of coverage, and levels. The length of time your insurance provider will cover depends on your plan. Check your insurance coverage through United rehab to be certain.
What if My United Healthcare Insurance Policy Does Not Cover Drug Treatment?
This may be a concern for some people who have a low-level tier plan. However, don’t let it deter you from reaching out for information. Some rehab centers may offer financing, payment plans, sliding-scale fees, or scholarship options. It’s critical to seek treatment for a drug addiction problem and not put it off.
United Healthcare Insurance In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Rehab Centers
You’ve probably heard the terms in-network and out-of-network before. What does this mean for drug addiction centers? With United Healthcare in-network rehab centers, the provider has a contract with these facilities. This is not the case with out-of-network rehabs.
As a result, in-network rehab centers will be less costly overall. The contract agreement between the rehab and the provider gives you a reduced out-of-pocket cost. Out-of-network providers will cost a bit more. However, don’t be deterred if the rehab of your choice is out-of-network; you can still go there.
If you need more information, call United Healthcare or contact the drug addiction rehab facility directly and ask whether it is in-network or out-of-network.
What Rehab Centers Accept United Healthcare Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various inpatient and outpatient rehab centers located around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have an United Healthcare insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept United Healthcare for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Located in Hollywood, Florida, Recovery First treats substance use disorders by combining evidence-based therapeutic modalities with top-level care. Recovery First provides a personalized continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
In-network rehab facilities are approved or have a contract with the UHC insurance to offer services at a set price. This means that your out-of-pocket expenses will typically be lower than if you choose an out-of-network rehab center. In some cases, you may even be responsible for the full cost of substance abuse rehab if you choose an out-of-network facility.
Whenever possible, try to choose a treatment facility that is in-network with United Healthcare Group. If you are unable to find an in-network provider or prefer a rehabilitation facility that is out-of-network, you may be able to work out a payment plan with the center so you can pay back the cost of treatment over time.
How to Pay for Rehab Using United Healthcare Insurance?
Reach out to verify your insurance benefits through American Addiction Centers (AAC). AAC will give you an immediate answer about your insurance coverage. There’s no need to call your insurance carrier or hunt through the Internet for answers. Simply fill out the form below and instantly verify your insurance coverage.
Don’t delay seeking help for yourself. You deserve to find healing and hope. If you prefer, you can reach out to AAC and talk to someone in person, 24/7. An intake coordinator will check your benefits while you’re on the phone.
Get in touch with our helpline for more information today at .