Alcohol and Drug Addiction Treatment by Age Group
An individual living with addiction can be effectively treated and go on to lead a healthy and productive life. Addiction treatments are varied and can be customized to each patient’s needs. Every person interested in recovery can find an option that suits him or her. For more information on addiction treatment centers in your area, call today.
What Causes Addiction in Various Age Groups?
No one factor contributes to addiction in all people, regardless of age. However, certain characteristics have been linked to addictive behaviors, including:
- Repeated use of drugs or alcohol can lead to addiction. Prolonged use of a substance increases the body’s tolerance. Tolerance lessens the drug’s effects, and individuals take larger and more frequent doses to achieve the desired result. Eventually, this leads to addiction and the inability to quit without experiencing physical symptoms or unpleasantness.
- Genetics have been shown to play a role in drug and alcohol dependence. A study conducted by researchers in England and the United States found that genetic factors contributed to an individual’s escalating drug use.
- Individuals diagnosed with depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and similar mental disorders may use drugs and alcohol as a way of coping with these problems. Harvard Psychiatrist Edward J. Khantzian has studied the causes of drug addiction and found that many dependent individuals are unable to calm themselves when stressed.
- The environment can play a part in drug and alcohol dependence. Peer pressure, family issues and quality of life can all influence an individual’s addictive behavior.
If you need help recovering from drug or alcohol addiction, call today for more information on the best treatment facilities available.
Did You Know?
A survey conducted by the University of Bordeaux found that 78.2 percent of teenagers had consumed alcohol by late adolescence. In addition, 47.1 percent admitted to having consumed a minimum of 12 drinks a year, and 15.1 percent met the criteria for lifetime abuse.
Treatment Options for Teens
Teenagers living with addiction should seek treatment early to prevent long-term dependence. Adolescent treatment centers understand how to treat addiction in younger addicts. These facilities offer a wide range of services designed especially for teenagers and young adults. Below are some of such features:
- Many drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities have education programs that allow the youth to continue his or her schooling while in treatment. The teenager may even be able to study for a high school equivalency diploma while receiving therapy.
- Adolescent treatment centers offer a fun and relaxing environment. Some facilities provide video games and other activities designed to make the recovery process more enjoyable for teens.
- Goal-setting workshops invite the adolescent to plan for the future. Setting and achieving goals has been shown to raise self-esteem and instill a feeling of purpose in the afflicted individual.
- Outpatient services are offered at many drug and alcohol addiction treatment facilities. The patient is able to continue care and receive support after completing the rehab program. This helps ensure continued sobriety and long-term success.
Treatment for Adults
Adults have different needs than teenagers. Addiction treatment facilities for adults take a different approach but still offer help in a supportive environment. Adult treatment features the following:
- Medications have been effective in treating addiction in some adults. Naltrexone has been used to treat opiate addiction by blocking the pleasure receptors in the brain. Once the medication has been administered, the drug no longer produces pleasurable feelings in the patient. Medication can also be useful in treating alcohol dependence and the abuse of certain illicit drugs.
- Behavioral therapy is often a component of an addiction rehab program. Patients are taught to recognize situations that may lead to drug use. The recovering individual learns new coping skills and positive ways of dealing with the stressors that can contribute to drug and alcohol abuse.
- Many patients will attend regular counseling sessions. These can be individual or group therapy sessions designed to examine the root causes of addictive behavior and offer the patient support and direction.
- Addiction can take a toll on the patient physically and emotionally. Many treatment programs focus on physical recovery and offer nutrition counseling, exercise programs and strength training as part of the healing process.
A combination of these treatments is most effective in caring for dependent individuals. Since drug and alcohol addiction has many causes, a varied treatment approach is necessary.
Drug Rehab for Seniors
“Addiction is a disease that can affect individuals of every age group. Seniors have special needs and many treatment facilities offer services designed for the older generation.”Addiction is a disease that can affect individuals of every age group. Seniors have special needs and many treatment facilities offer services designed for the older generation. Drug rehab for seniors takes the following issues into account:
- Seniors are less likely to display aggressive or defiant behavior.
- Older adults have different grief issues and triggers that contribute to excessive drug and alcohol use.
- Recovering addicts of an advanced age prefer a quiet, tranquil atmosphere.
- Seniors often have special health concerns that affect their recovery.
- Illicit drug use is less common in this age group.
If you are seeking help for yourself or a loved one, there is hope. Call today for the best treatment options available for your age group.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, drug use by older adults is on the rise. An estimated 4.3 million of seniors who took part in the survey admitted to using drugs within the previous year.